860GT rear drum brake wheel hub bearing caps

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT rear drum brake wheel hub bearing caps

Post by rjk40 »

I really need help on this dilemma, and apologize if it has been covered in a previous post that I missed:

trying to remove "caps" on rear wheel hub bearings, per photos in the following Flickr link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124760992 ... 3339475701

The caps are not obvious to me in the parts manual, but are where items 0795.80.210 show in my manual (listed as WASHERS); mine are not washers, but caps around the outer bearing race on the bearings on both side of the hub. The only place where I see these caps mentioned is in my less-than-stellar Haynes manual, per the 4th pic in this group. It is mentioned that the caps can be prised off, which must happen to get to the bearings and remove/replace them. I did also buy the bearing removal tool from Steve, and will use that when I get the bearings exposed properly. After much effort and blue language, I am at a loss on how to get these stubborn dudes off without destroying either the hub or the cap itself. I haven't even gotten to the one on the cush drive side, and don't see any place to get leverage.

I could really use some advice on these two beasties: (Heat? Easing oil? Intense prayer?)

Thanks in advance.
Richard
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 860GT rear drum brake wheel hub bearing caps

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Richard,

I'm pretty sure that those pieces are the 'washers', part #0795.80.210. I agree they don't much resemble the drawing; but I think the secret is in the Italian description: "Rondella protezione cuscinetto 4122", i.e washers for protecting the bearings. The 750 wheel was the same.

In which case, I hazard that you can destroy* them with a clear conscience and replace the whole lot with modern sealed bearings.

But before doing so, best to wait and see if anyone corrects me!

Happy Christmas to you and yours btw!

* 1. They may just pull off/out with the bearing anyways :)

2. Or cut them off with a Dremel - certainly the one that you can get to, the one on the boss. You wouldn't need to go all the way, just enuf to weaken the steel so it splits more easily.

3. Another way might be to drill two small holes in the upper surface of the cap at 180° to each other; screw in two self tapping screws and then, with a pair of locking grips on the head of each screw, pull up. I've used this method for getting this kind of seal out from behind gearbox sprocket bearings, for example. Naturally, the seal is stuffed afterwards ... :(

4. And its always worth trying heat and easing oil :) . On this occasion, the aluminum of the hub may, despite its relative mass, expand more than the steel. So try to remove the caps as everything starts to cool down. And it would be worth repeating several times too.

Craig
rjk40
750 GT

Re: 860GT rear drum brake wheel hub bearing caps

Post by rjk40 »

Thanks kindly, Craig,

As usual you are a fount of meritorious wisdom.

I took heed of the relative lack of usefulness of said "washers" in the shadow of sealed bearing replacements, and could see no reason for them, thus I trimmed a notch into them with my trusty Dremel to weaken their walls, tapped them with a punch, and they split and parted company with the hub gracefully; I shall place them in my Ducati "Hall of Horrors" for reminiscence in later years (good for a laugh now, thanks to your help).
The Motion Pro bearing removal tool works quite well, although some stubborn bearings did take several whacks, and the tool did pop out of the bearing race a few times. As is usually the case, some bearings do come out with minimum "language", while others take some "smooth talk" to persuade their departure, along with a heat gun to warm up their surround's anatomy. I will polish the hub surfaces that take the outer bearing races, and will put the replacement bearings in the refrigerator overnight on the eve of installing them, well-packaged to keep out moisture. I will prewarm the hub prior to installation, and hope for the best.

I have found one bearing from the sprocket hub that would grind when spun (once I removed it), and the grease was discolored dark, unlike its mate that still spun well, possibly from getting hot or contaminated. Same thing on the wheel hub, one grinding with dark grease, one okay. They're all being replaced, as well as the front wheel bearings, per the six-bearing kit from Steve at B.H.

Thanks again to you, and I wish You and Yours Happy Holidays.

Best Regards,
Richard

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”