860 GT Borrani Rim/Tire Upgrade question

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MplsMoto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860 GT Borrani Rim/Tire Upgrade question

Post by MplsMoto »

I've acquired a set of Borrani WM-3 alloy rims off a Guzzi Convert with the intention of replacing the stock rims.

I know the front rim will work fine as the hubs are exactly the same, but my concern is the rear rim - mostly as to whether they will have the right angle at the dimple.

I currently have a call into Buchanan to make sure I get the right size spokes, but not sure if they'll know about the drilling angle.

Here are the rims:

WM 3/2.15-18/40 Record/11 RM-01-4844/L (rear)
WM 3/2.15-18/40 Record/11 RM-01-4845 (front)

Also, what are my tire size options using these rims?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 860 GT Borrani Rim/Tire Upgrade question

Post by BevHevSteve »

the best thing for you to do is send Buchanan's your rear hub and rim and have them lace it up for you that way you KNOW it is done right.

90/90 up front and 100/90 on the rear, you could go out to 110/90 on the rear but, I'd stick to the 100/90 if it were my 860. Bigger tires do not make better handling bevel drives which need all the help they can get.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
MplsMoto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 860 GT Borrani Rim/Tire Upgrade question

Post by MplsMoto »

Thanks Steve,

I've been chatting with Kennie at Buchanan and I think we have it sorted-out. I'm going to have a go at tuning the rear rim myself, it's going to be slightly shorter on one side due to the difference in the Guzzi hub.

As for tires, I realize you recommend going on the narrow side of stock - but just wondering, what is the max tire width you can run front and rear on the 860GT? This bike is more show than go.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”