Lockheed caliper interchangeability

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
tobaccoblender
Diana

Lockheed caliper interchangeability

Post by tobaccoblender »

Does any out there know whether any of the Lockheed calipers fitted to various British bikes were the same as the type fitted to Ducati v twins in the 70's?
I ask because I need a caliper form my '74 750 Sport and can't find one at a sensible price, but I notice there are loads for sale for Nortons, Triumphs etc that have the same mounting bolt centres as a Ducati, but is that all there is to it?
Help!!! -*!^-
Cheers
Paddy
in-two
Diana

Re: Lockheed caliper interchangeability

Post by in-two »

I note that there was no response to your question so here goes, I have no direct experience of fitting AP Lockheed calipers to Ducatis but have worked a lot with Lockheed calipers on various race bikes and will soon be looking for a pair for my '74 greenframe, the original scarabs are nasty. I think they can be bought new from AP and the variables are bolt centres as mentioned, offset between the mounting lugs and disc centre line , piston diameter and hydraulic line entry point. I think it's a very standard caliper and AP themselves would be the best source of definitive info rather than this vague waffle...sorry.
Cheers
Zed
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I don't know about Lockheed's fitted to round cases out of the factory. I think people often over estimate the Ducati factory "inconsistency" argument. What is indisputable is that the rear disk brake on the 74 SS Green Frame was a three fin Lockheed. The fronts, were, however, were Scarabs. I've never seen a Ducati parts book that specified a Lockheed front brake. That being said, my Scarab sits on a shelf and I use a Lockheed three fin M/C and calliper on my 750 Sport purely based on performance and maintainability.

Kev
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Kev, say what you like, but I'm a great believer in brake calipers NOT sitting on shelves anywhere. It's a sin as heinous as letting good wine go past it's best because you're not on top of your cellar management. I mean, what's it doing on your shelf apart from protecting that little bit of shelf from dust?
Why not send it back home, to it's country of birth, where it can bask in the Italian sunshine, gently kissing a cast iron disc while soaking up the aromas of a fine Brunello di Montalcino. It'd be like a tired old man going home to spend his retirement near his folks.
Kev, pack it up in a padded bag and send it home- it's the least you can do. And just to show willing, I'll pay the postage! :vroom:
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

PS, I've just noticed I'm a Diana now!!!
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

The simple answer is I think the Lockheed is a better brake and I like to stop. I keep the Scarab on the shelf so when I'm too old to ride a 750 Sport the next owner can make his own choice. Just my opinion after 35 years of continual bevel riding. Nothing more than that, really.

Kev

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”