Darmah eating rear wheel bearings

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Darmah eating rear wheel bearings

Post by mizike77 »

Anyone know the axle nut torque figures? My bike has burned up a couple rotor side wheel bearings. I have made up new spacers that match the dimensions in the spare parts catalog. Im confident i have them arranged correctly. One thing that does concern me, my sprocket carrier rests against the wheel, I have seen some photos of other bikes where the carrier recesses into the wheel. Mine does not.
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Anyone have a Darmah they can look at and tell me if my carrier is wrong? I took some phots today to show wah t i am talking about. Look at the edge of the carrier. Is this sprocket carrier from a adifferent bike? It does not look like the one in the photos I saw of another on this site..
http://picasaweb.google.com/mizike77/WheelBearings#
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

mizike77,

You definately appear to have a problem as the sprocket carrier should fit inside the cush drive. its hard to tell what carrier you have as it's obscured by the sprocket and chain. Some pics of the cush drive dissembled would help us help you ? Also have a look at some other recent postings on cush drive assembly as one guy had some great photos of his sprocket carrier, cush drive and wheel set up, assembled and dissembled. this should give you a good look at all the parts and help you compare yours. I wouldn't be riding the bike with that set up at present cause it will end in tears.

Good luck and keep us informed
Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

I am wondering what this carrier goes to? When I got this bike the spacers were set up very strange. ThenI got the manual ,had the correct ones made and reassebled according to the book. I got about 300 miles out of the bike before it ate the latest set. The photos you are referring to are the black and white prints I am holding in my pics.
WhenI got it the brake caliper plate was against the swingarm with one thin spacer between caliper plate and wheel. On the sprocket side, the inner spacer was actually turned around and on the outside between the carrier and swingarm with nothing inside between the the carrier and wheel. Anyone have a carrier for a darmah?
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Mike,

from your description it sounds like the prior owner had spacers up to suit that sprocket carrier which we assume to be incorrect. Since you have had new spacers made to original spec the set up is now clearly wrong.
The photos I referred to are "not" yours but are listed in wheel brake and tyre under the posting Problems with cush drive part 2. Scroll down and this posting clearly shows the carrier inside and out. The suggestion was simply to let you compare as we cannot see your carrier in the photos, apart from the fact that the diameter appears too large.
Sorry, can't help with a carrier, but hopefully someone will have an original for you.
Cheers
Rick
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Mike,
just had a closer look at your photos. my apology I see the black and whites you are holding. same as my reference. sorry should have looked closer in the first place.

cheers
Rick
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

G'Day Rick,
I had hells own trouble trying to sort out sprocket carrier for my darmah, couldn't get it to fit together correctly no matter what. in the end I took ithe whole wheel to Phil at Road and race he measured things up and found that my sprocket carrier was shagged. He had a replacement in stock which I took home fiited up. no problems since
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Thanks Gary,

It appears to be a common problem, like Mike I've had problems in the past with my Darmah chewing out bearings. Part of the problem was incorrect assembly ( My fault ) but like you, I also found my sprocket carrier was stuffed. I managed to get second hand unit in excellent condition and problem solved. Not sure where Mike is located but perhaps Road and Race might be an option for him if he can't get one locally.
Cheers
Rick

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”