Which Brembos????

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
conti-mental
Mach 3

Which Brembos????

Post by conti-mental »

I have a '75 900ss, and the calipers are the early narrow style Brembos with no logos - later pads don't fit. The LH front has been replaced for a later one, which looks a bit naff (once you've noticed the difference, that is...), and I would like to replace it with the correct style caliper.

Now for the questions!

What is the model designation for the early caliper?
Ditto master cylinder (solid cast alloy - are these still available?)
Who does spares for them?
Do later type seals/pistons fit?
Does anyone do stainless nipples, pins, pistons?

Any help or advice gratefully received

Cheers!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

brembo Q's

Post by BevHevSteve »

Your F08 calipers are referred to by many names, I have heard; slimline, narrow, shaved, race..... Regardless, you are correct in that they are narrower and use different pin kits [unavailable] and pads than other F08 calipers but they DO use the same pistons and seal kits. In the seal kits, the caliper bolts included are a bit longer than what you need so you can either cut off 5mm or just leave them be - they will not interfere with anything.

Solid 15mm BREMBO master cylinders are not available. I see used ones every now and then come up on eBay though.... Mostly folks purchase a newer style rectangular resv master cylinder to replace it.

I have new style rectangular resv master cylinders, pistons, seals, thin pads, bleed screws, bleed screw covers etc etc in stock. Pin kits for the shaved F08 calipers are unavailable.

Go to my store http://www.BevelHeaven.com and click on the 'eStore' link
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I pulled the calipers down, and as they appear to share a common casting, I could get the newer one milled - but then I'd have another problem with pins :x
Back to the old 'look at it or ride it' scenario!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

brembos

Post by BevHevSteve »

I'd just throw on a new set of F08s and call it good. I just installed them on a 78 900ss - they are fine looking - only one out of 100 will notice they are NOT original shaved 08s..... They go riding. I got plenty if you need a set or just one. thanks
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Vulpine2
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Shaved caliper

Post by Vulpine2 »

Not sure if machining down a single PO8 would give a good result - you'd need to locate a twin nipple caliper to start with and whilst easier to find than the shaved ones they're not exactly common...
Steve may not have the correct pins, but in the GB you can get them in stainless from D. Middleton in West Yorks (www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk) He can supply a variety of lengths including 60mm which is - I think - correct for the shaved items.
Might be better to get a set of PO8 and simply shave off the logo. Only a true anorak would spot it and you could always explain it away as VERY rare set of brakes indeed...
Rob
900ss, 350 SCR
UK
Vulpine2
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Vulpine2 »

Bit more...
Dave Middleton also does stainless nipples. I am going to get a complete set of stainless stuff from him to refurbish all the calipers on my black and gold 900SS. This bike, made in 78/79 but not registered until early '81, has the early calipers like yours but the later see thru master cylinder.
Cheers
Rob
900ss, 350 SCR
UK
Vulpine2
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Vulpine2 »

And more...
Ignore the bit about diificult to locate twin nipple P08's - don't know where that came from. Getting confused with tricky to find Goldlines I think...
Just measured the pins, which turn out to be closer to 62mm than 60.
Dave Middleton is the only person I know of that lists stainless nipples in M6 which, I think, are unique to the shaved calipers.
When you need new pads, just use a set of standard ones with a fraction shaved off the friction material. surface
Rob
900ss, 350 SCR
UK
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up.
I remember Middleton's doing the pins years ago (still have a pair here), and it's only after I read your posts that I found them on his website (under hoseclips??!!).
I'd looked a few weeks ago and didn't spot them!
I've just discovered that Brancato also do them, along with everything else from wheel spindles to head-nuts in stainless.
Pity his website isn't more informative.

Cheers,

Andy 'Conti-mental'

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”