FAQ: Sprocket Carrier Bearing & Spacer Installation

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

FAQ: Sprocket Carrier Bearing & Spacer Installation

Post by BevHevSteve »

The above shows the correct assembly for bevel drive sprocket carrier bearings and spacers for all DISK BRAKE applications
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Im assuming this vantage point is taken from the rear of the bike? So your sketch would show the wheel to the left of the sprocket?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

no. The drawaing is exactly in the order all the bits are supposed to be, just not related to how it sits on the bike.

If you are having trouble wrapping your arms around my drawing, just look at it upside down so that it is relative to the way it is on the bike.

Or, stand on the left side of your bike and lean over the seat looking down at the sprocket.

There ya go.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

In Stebe's diagram does the bush on the right hand side sit flush with the bearing or is there a small gap. With mine there is a gap of a maybe 3 mm. If it is supposed to be flush I am guessing that maybe the spacer is not seating home properly and this is making it almost ipossible to reassemle as I cannot get the spcer between the swingarm and caliper bracket to fit
drikko
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: FAQ: Sprocket Carrier Bearing & Spacer Installation

Post by drikko »

Old topic I know, but how on earth does one get these bearings out? I can't even shift the right hand (in the diagram) spacer, let alone move the bearings. I suspect one can use a blind bearing puller to get the right hand spacer out? Then what? Just bash the beejeesus out of the centre spacer (ok use a press I mean...)? Any nicer way?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Drikko,

(If I remember right .... :shock: )

The rebated external spacer (#17) should come out easy enuf. When clean, it's a sliding fit, so it's now just playing with you :-D . Be firm but nice (easing oil and heat), and it will yield ('he says ....' ;) )

After that, blind puller for the first bearing, #4 - an expanding frame anchor/bolt of the right size normally does that job ...

(admin edit: image posted deleted by admin after receiving a warning message regarding use)

If not, get a proper puller :cry:

After that the internal spacer #15 falls out and you can tap - NO BASHING!! :tisk: - the other bearing out from the inside.

HTH

Craig
drikko
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by drikko »

I ended up taking it to a mates place and pressing it apart, we had to make up suitable mandrels etc on his lather, he has a proper blind bearing puller which got it started but the other bits needed to be pressed and heated. It took a lot of pressure!!

Now I'm having front wheel woes, see new thread.... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4676

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”