Looking for a conversion

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
stuntrider
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Looking for a conversion

Post by stuntrider »

Hey guys I was wondering if someone might know where to find one,because I sure can't.I have a 1972 450 rt and I want to go from 6v to 12v.If anyone could help me out that would be great.Thanks
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

The 450 RT has flywheel magneto ignition with a 6v AC coil and a 2 wire
alternator . if you want to convert to 12 volts you need a 3 wire alternator
from a widecase. and a maching flywheel for that setup
as a RT has a smaller bronze flywheel

Eldert
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Stuntrider

In addition to Eldert's advice, you might want to talk to Phil Hitchcock at Road and Race, go http://www.roadandrace.com.au/index.html.

I quote from an e-mail of his, sent back in July (prices are in Australian dollars, btw):

"12V for singles - YEEEHAAA! I now have a 12V, 3 phase, 18 amp alternator that can be fitted to any OHC single. NO, it is NOT a drop-in fit but, when I have finished making up some adaptors & a kit, it will be.

GOOD news - if you already have an alternator with a 6 magnet rotor, all you will need is the stator, adaptor plate & regulator which will be supplied as a kit for around $ 400.

BAD news (but not too bad) - for bikes with a magneto such as early 175 - 200 - SCR etc you will also need a rotor which will add approx $200 to the price.

GREAT news - no more flat batteries. You will be able to run up to a 65w headlight, bloody amazing - you will be able to run all sorts of kit electronic ignitions that require 12v - you can use a decent gel cell battery, so no more worries about acid spills."

There is also a Spanish supplier of a 12 volt ignition system which comes complete with new alternator. The system is, apparently, good; but he is unfortunately very difficult to get hold of. Go www.electronicademotos.com.

HTH

Craig in UK
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Stuntrider (again)

Just seen that Mario Sassi also does a full kit with alternator - go http://www.oldracingspareparts.com/parts_s/01R0045.htm

Could be expensive, mind ... :)

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”