Charging Challenge

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Roger
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Charging Challenge

Post by Roger »

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum, I hope I get it right.
I`m having problems with the charge circuit on a 1968 350 Ducati, I have output from the alternator, but the reg. doesn`t check out. Is there an aftermarket reg. I can use or do I have to track down a "Real" one? The reg has Logitron RG1 2950 on the outer case, and has 5 connectors. Can I use a "jap" reg/rectifier to do the job?(or is that forbidden?)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rog.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Alternative reg/rectifer

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Roger

I assume you've got 6 volt electrics?

If so, I'm not aware of any alternative reg/rectifier, altho' I'm sure there must be one and others on the Forum may know better :-)

They do turn up occasionally on eBay, but these are also most likely to be fried if, and again I'm assuming things here, you have the same/similar system as my 72 450SCR. The cause is people starting the engine without the battery fitted which overloads the diodes.

Replacements are available from Phil at Road and Race, http://www.roadandrace.com.au/electrical_repairs.htm.

HTH

Craig in UK
Roger
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Roger »

Thanks for your help,
I went ahead and fitted a seperate bridge rectifier,( electronics shop for about $4.00au) and 6V Voltage reg. from a Japanese trail bike, I`m getting about 7.1volts at the battery @2000rpm, and about 6.7v at a bit over idle,so I guess thats all I could expect, Thanks again for your answer Craig. I`ll chase up a combined reg/rectifier, It will be a neater looking unit,
Cheers,
Roger in OZ.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Reg/rectifier for singles

Post by Craig in France »

Good move, Roger.

Frankly, I don't think you need more volts than that - after all, these bikes don't carry much of a electrical load (unless you've fitted heated handle grips and a CD player? :-D )

If you do ever come up with an alternative reg/rectifier, do let us know ...

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”