LED sealed beam 7" Conversion for 860GT

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Tinkerbell
Mariana

LED sealed beam 7" Conversion for 860GT

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi Everybody,
I got a 7" model VCm3 LED headlight from Vintage Car. It replaces the 6014 sealed beam unit. The LED is replaceable . It is about 3/8" deeper than the stock unit but fit easily into my stock 860GT bucket. The light draws about 17 watts which equates to 1.5 Amps of current, as opposed to 4 amps for the 50 watt incandescent model. It helps with the charging system keeping the battery topped up and has made a big difference. The base model 7" light is $109, but I bought the upgrade model with the Hella lens which was $150.
Thanks!
Kara
rjk40
750 GT

Re: LED sealed beam 7" Conversion for 860GT

Post by rjk40 »

Hi Kara,

Can you provide the url for vintage car? I looked for such a business with several permutations
of the name, but got nuthin'.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, on my 1975 860GT, engine # 851539, in addition to refitting the dash lamps to LEDs from Steve,
I have converted my turn and tail/brake lights to LEDs from
Superbrightleds.com, in St. Louis, Missouri, and have gained a significant reduction in current draw.
SuperBright sells perfect replacements for the 1156 and 1157 bulbs, and for about $12 (lamps are about $10 to $15 each),
sells the "smart" turn signal relay (in my case, since I made a new wire harness, I put the relay on the frame
near the fuse block) to eliminate the hyperblinking phenomenon, and gain some room in the somewhat "cozily-populated" bucket.
Getting the headlamp switched to LED will be a great boon to the somewhat anemic alternator.

Regards,
Richard, Old man in Florida
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

The URL for Vintage Car is vintagecarleds.com

Kara, did your bike have the U.S. sealed beam headlamp originally, or the H4 halogen lanp?
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Another question for those who have the H4 halogen unit:

How is the H4 headlamp unit kept in proper rotational orientation so that the beam is aimed correctly?
On my U.S. sealed beam unit, the lamp has three raised bosses that fit into the inner mounting ring, and since the
three bosses are not equally spaced, the ring only fits onto them one way, and that assures proper beam
alignment.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”