How to set the timing on a Mille?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
hedton
Diana

How to set the timing on a Mille?

Post by hedton »

How should i set the pickups on my Mille?
Is it just to set it with the marks as on the attached picture or should it be set with some advance? I've got access to the Brancato tool.
Attachments
Millepicups.jpg
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Re: How to set the timing on a Mille?

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Hedton: Have you downloaded the free instructions for how to use the Brancanto tool, available on the Bevel Heaven store?

I believe that if you simply set the pups up as shown in the picture; the Brancanto tool helps set the pup position and air gap between the rotor and pups and the advance is accounted for.
hedton
Diana

Post by hedton »

Yes I have downloaded the instuction.

But I've heard that the the Mille has a different diameter of the rotor!
Do you know the difference?

Best regards

Hedton
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Just checked and they have different part numbers for the Mille/S2 ignition rotor. My guess is that the tool is based on the earlier bikes; the round bit will match the ignition "lobe" outer diameter. You will need to compare that dimension with your rotor and account for it in the air gap setting; the relative position of the pups should be the same if the lobe steps are similar. I just tried to measure my old rotor but the battery is dead on my Vernier calipers! I'll report back soon.
hedton
Diana

Post by hedton »

Thanks!

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”