Removing rubber gauge holder cup

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rsuarez
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Removing rubber gauge holder cup

Post by rsuarez »

Hi,

I have been trying to remove the rubber holder cup from my speedometer but it is very tight and I cannot move it at all. I replaced them around 18 months ago and they went in just fine without any special treatment. Any trick to getting them out? I would hate cutting it.

Thanks.

Ramon

Re: Removing rubber gauge holder cup

Post by 81mhr900ss »

If you have access to a heat gun, you could try a very gentle application of heat just to warm the rubber and make it more supple. Maybe try squeeze a thin feeler gauge between the rubber part and the clock and spray in some lubricant then work the feeler gauge around the clock.
rsuarez
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rsuarez »

81mhr900ss wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:02 pm If you have access to a heat gun, you could try a very gentle application of heat just to warm the rubber and make it more supple. Maybe try squeeze a thin feeler gauge between the rubber part and the clock and spray in some lubricant then work the feeler gauge around the clock.
Thanks, I figured it out. In reality, was not that complicated. I realized I could insert a rounded tip allen through the knob holes and spray some WD40 as I moved around. This released the rubber almost immediately.

Post by 81mhr900ss »

I'm glad this was resolved so easily. Maybe before you put it back together, put a thin film of rubber-friendly grease around the rubber contact surfaces so it doesn't stick in the future. Post pics!!

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”