860GT LED headlamp retrofit: attempt 1

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT LED headlamp retrofit: attempt 1

Post by rjk40 »

In trying to alleviate the load on the somewhat anemic alternator, I purchased an LED lamp from Autobaba, which was supposed to be a replacement for the 6014 unit in my bike; big mistake: the unit would not fit into the capture rings in the headlamp shell. It was slightly too big in diameter. Also, the protuberances on the backside interfere with the backside capture ring. And then, the unit must be used with a "Decoder" that smooths the current, otherwise,the lamp would flicker, since a diode is much more sensitive to the pulsating DC that comes from an alternator.

The LED draw was:

Low beam : 3.02 Amps
High Beam: 3.10 Amps

vs the 6014 sealed beam draw:

Low beam : 3.6 Amps
High Beam : 4.25 Amps

The LED unit from Autobaba did not draw much less than the original lamp, so inmy opinion, it is not worth the investment.
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: 860GT LED headlamp retrofit: attempt 1

Post by ducadini »

But did it improve riding in the dark ?
I have the impression that 2 ordinary 6€ LED flashlights give me more light then the H4 in my 600SS.
The last 3 miles are on a non-lit road with trees (and dropping branches).
I don't really need more light (a few weeks before retirement) and I don't like touring in the dark in The Alps, but when necessary I like to see where I'm going.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

This was a bench test, a sensible precursor to a road test.
So, your question of it improving the lighting riding in the dark is not something that I can answer from a bench test.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

If you read what I put in the original post, you will see that the LED lamp would not even fit into the capture ring, so there is no way that I could possibly answer your question about night riding, since the LED lamp would not fit into the shell.

Got that?

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”