New ignition system: need advice!

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Re: New ignition system: need advice!

Post by 81mhr900ss »

I'm talking about the pickup circuit board inside the engine, not the external black box!
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

Understood Rick. Luckily the pickup can be replaced relatively easily . just a matter of unbolting clutch cover and replacing. There are two 5 mm screws , not slotted so it is a case of unbolting and replacing.
Will also check coil resistance at cold and hot.

Getting there.....
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.
ashleyf
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ashleyf »

Ok. Had the bike on a Dyno to see if coils were the issue . Same output at hot and cold. Alternator was barely producing 12 V . So, replaced alternator which was going to earth , replaced the fried wire from it to the regulator.
Took it for a half hour test and restarted first kick when hot.

Still scratching my head why it would start first kick when cold and then be a beast when warm. Anyway , hoping that this will fix it . There is only so much 'mystique' I can handle !!!

Beautiful to ride . Big difference from the last bike (78 900SS ) 20 years ago and now. A LOT more attention from passerbys .
1976 900 SS. Sydney OZ.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Great! There are "mystiques" surrounding things electrical:
As a computer techie, I was working on an old machine whose wires were connected in taper pin "buggies", they frequently
fell out for no apparent reason. One seasoned veteran said that "it was the solenoid action of the taper pin under current".
Probably B.S., but food for thought. Perhaps the fried wire earthing did the most damage when things changed dimensions (or in the case of the wire, failed to insulate...) a bit when hot, and deteriorated the performance of the alternator.
Persistence pays off once in a while. Wishing you much enjoyable riding.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”