NGK BPR7HIX plug gap?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

NGK BPR7HIX plug gap?

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi folks:

My new plugs just arrived; NGK Iridium BPR7HIX. The NGK factory gap is 0.030"/0.762mm, not the 0.035"/0.889mm I was expecting from reading other threads on this subject. On the BevelHeaven store site for these pugs, there is a reference from "DucatiHi" that states "Work great in both of my ducs. Way better throttle response. You have to set the gap larger, .037-.04" will be necessary. That is how they are designed to work. Longer lasting plug also".

I have looked everywhere on the Internet for other Ducati bevel 900 iridium plug gap references and I can't find much. There's a quite comprehensive comment in a thread on Ducati.MS that states "If you run iridium or platinum electrode plugs, start with the 0.035-inch gap that they are shipped with. Don't run them at smaller gaps or you'll loose throttle response."

For reference my Ducati manual factory spec for regular plugs is 0.024"/0.6mm.

Sage ones please help.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: NGK BPR7HIX plug gap?

Post by Peter Mille »

You're running a Sachse ignition, right?
Send them an email and ask.
Btw,I run a Sachse ignition on my Mille AND use the same NGK Irridium plugs.
Did not re-gap them, just use them as they came out of the box.
Engine is running fine, much better starting and perfect tick over, even when cold.( and that was a REAL problem with the original Bosch ignition, and normal plugs....).
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: NGK BPR7HIX plug gap?

Post by Peter Mille »

I have to correct myself ( too many engines, too many plugs etc... :oops: )

The NGK Irridium come with a 0.8mm gap, and should be regapped to 0.7mm at our Bevel Ducati's, and that's what I did.

https://www.ngkntk.com/benelux/part-fin ... P7HS/1589/

0,7mm is the NGK advise for normal plugs, they don't give another gap for the Irridium.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”