DYNA S ignition

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
saraceno59
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

DYNA S ignition

Post by saraceno59 »

Hi, as i am new to this older technology, i would like to ask you about the Dyna S ignition. For now my Bevel run good, but i would prefer to upgrade it with the ele ignition. At the description says that its highly recommend to run a pair of the black 5 ohm DYNA coils with this ignition for general street riding. What if i leave mine on? I am not sure what kind are they, but they have been replaced by the previous owner with newer ones. Do they MUST be 5 ohm??
1973 GT750, 2000 SS750, 1996 Yamaha tenere 660, 1980 Yamaha LB50
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: DYNA S ignition

Post by wdietz186 »

The Dyna is pretty much bulletproof. It should work with just about any coils that you would put on a points ign. A simple check with an ohmmeter will tell the coil resistance. I've used the three ohm Dyna coils on my GT for years with no problems. Generally the lower the resistance the hotter the coil runs and can misfire if it gets hot enough.
saraceno59
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by saraceno59 »

Thank you for your answer, very useful info! Where do i check the resistance, on the spark plug wire and ground or up on the coil's wires?
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I've run Dyna ignition on original ducati coils for the last 30,000 km on my 750 Sport.

My 73 750 GT is running automobile coils with dyna ignition.

Both bikes run like trains.

I'm not sure Dyna is as sensitive as might be advertised.

Kev
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Presently considering the ignition question myself for a 750GT restoration project. It had points, but rather have a set & forget system. I have had Guzzis running Dyna ignitions with no complaints. One quibble you hear about Dyna's is that they are a bit thirsty - current-wise. If you have a stock alternator, that's not a plus (I'm installing an early ST2 single-phase). The Dyna is not very expensive (~$150 US) + appropriate impedance coils (~$160US / pr.)

Of the various other systems that are out there, the Pazon looks interesting:

http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/sm ... -ducati750

I like having electronic rather then mechanical advance with selectable advance curves. When I dyno-tuned a Guzzi running a Sasche ignition system (electronic advance sadly no longer made), it made a difference in what curve was selected. That bike has dual-plug ignition, so the stock curves would not work very well. Also one of his selling points is low power consumption - a plus w/ stock alternator.

So the Pazon kit is ~$500US or about $200 more then the Dyna ign & Coils. Recon in the plug leads & caps and you're in the Pazon for about $175US more than the Dyna.

I think I just decided on the Pazon.

Edit: On closer inspection, it looks like the Pazon does not have selectable advance curves.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

You check the resistance between to + and - terminals for the primary resistance.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

One quibble you hear about Dyna's is that they are a bit thirsty - current-wise. If you have a stock alternator, that's not a plus (I'm installing an early ST2 single-phase).
That's definitely true, and if you have a charging problem, you can have your bike stop whilst idling at traffic lights. That won't happen with a healthy stock system, even in "lights on" riding. The ST2 rotor however is a good modifcation - those modern magnets make a huge difference to power generation. Just make sure your regulator/rectifier is doing its job too! They often fail "on" so pass on all charge they get. You don't see it when your alternator is producing low power. Add an St2 rotor and you could cook your battery pretty quickly and dump acid over your cases.

Kev
saraceno59
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by saraceno59 »

machten wrote:
Add an St2 rotor and you could cook your battery pretty quickly and dump acid over your cases.Kev
So is it safer to replace everything together than just the alt or the ignition alone?
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

No need yet. Just test your regulator cut out voltage. Do the minimum you need to. Dyna will draw more current and any issue will materialise idling at traffic lights by cutting out, for example. Just test your alternator charging and see how it looks. There might be no problem. I run Dyna on stock alternator, regulator and coils on my 750 Sport and never have to charge my battery.

Kev

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”