SSD Indicator support

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
sjkiwi
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SSD Indicator support

Post by sjkiwi »

Was the rear indicator support a one off for the ssd darmah, all the spare parts book pictures I can find show this part as being
different from the SS and MHR but no listing of a part number for the SSD. Was this part one piece with the taillight mounting assembly, one
long indicator support bar or two short ones like the front set-up.
As my 1980 SSD came with non-original indicators, I have nothing to go by and cannot find a good enough photo yet of a original set-up.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts ,advice etc.
John
ColinS
Mariana

Re: SSD Indicator support

Post by ColinS »

I just popped down to the garage to check and couldn't be sure how this attaches (I've not dismantled it before). It looks to be a one piece with the No. plate / rear light support.
I took a couple of photos but they're not much help!

I'll have another look in daylight! Probably need to remove the rear light to see how it's fixed.

Cheers

Colin
Colin Steer
Keswick
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

sjkiwi wrote:Was the rear indicator support a one-off for the SSD Darmah ...

No. It's a standard Darmah item, part # 0801.74.110 (btw, the "0801" tells you it was first used on the Darmah).
sjkiwi wrote:Was this part one-piece with the taillight mounting assembly ... <snip>
"A picture is worth a thousand words ...." :-D

sjkiwi
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sjkiwi »

Thanks Colin and Craig for the reply. The P/O drilled
some holes in the sides under where the original support was, to mount the non original indicators, I will start looking for
a Darmah taillight assembly. Will weld the old one up as it is cracked as well, and may have to re-use it until I can find one.
I do have a SS taillight so may look at getting a SS rear indicator bar and trying that out, it may be easier than getting hold of
a Darmah one in good condition. Parts for these are getting harder to find.

Cheers
John
Craig in France
Paso 906

sjkiwi wrote: I will start looking for a Darmah taillight assembly. Will weld the old one up as it is cracked .. may have to re-use it until I can find one ... it may be easier than getting hold of a Darmah one in good condition. Parts for these are getting harder to find.
Yeh, the Darmah type can be difficult to find in good condition. I guess the indicator arms always suffer when ever a bike goes over :( . One will turn up, eventually, tho'...
ColinS
Mariana

Post by ColinS »

You could easily fabricate a replacement indicator mounting bar, weld it to your existing mount and fill in the holes drilled by the DPO.

Thanks for the piccy Craig, saves me taking mine apart.

Cheers

Colin
Colin Steer
Keswick
sjkiwi
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sjkiwi »

Had a look at the SS bracket, doesn't look like it will fit correctly as the bracket angle is different to the Darmah assembly.
May have to look at your suggestion Colin, and fix up my old one . The cracks are formed from the mounting holes where
it bolts to the rear guard, is this a common thing due to vibration or am I just unlucky with mine. Otherwise if anyone has a
Darmah taillight assembly to sell, or swap for a new replica SS taillight assembly from Germany let us know. I am in Perth WA . I have messaged
a couple of parts suppliers and am going to contact a couple more in the next few days so I am hopeful one will turn up.
Cheers
John
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

G,Day Kev,
I have one sitting in front of me at the moment.
It looks to me as though it may have been modified as the blinker support end is not externally threaded.
There is an internal thread.
The lens is missing the clear part in the bottom for the number plate light.
Away from my darmah until Monday so cannot check whether it is modified.
If it is worth saving and you are interested pm me an offer

Craig in France
Paso 906

garryc wrote:<snip> It looks to me as though it may have been modified as the blinker support end is not externally threaded.
Yeh, this is where they often seem to be busted, Gary. Guess it's the weakest point. But well repairable; so, yeh, I reckon they're worth saving :) .

Ciao

Craig
sjkiwi
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sjkiwi »

Thanks all for replies,
managed to find one in excellent condition with bonus original indicators still attached,
was not cheap but still worth every bit of my time and dollars spent tracking it down.
Regards
John

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”