WANTED: Sprocket carrier for mag wheels

Post your bevel drive twin cylinder FOR SALE and WANTED ads in this space......
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

WANTED: Sprocket carrier for mag wheels

Post by mizike77 »

I need a sprocket carrier for my 79 Darmah...Campagnolo wheels. Anyone have one? Mike
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

They probably all returned to white dust.... :twisted:
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Don't listen to Peter :lol: . First of all the sprocket carriers are aluminum not magnesium. Secondly, the same sprocket carriers are used for both wire-spoked wheels and cast wheels, part number 0797.80.242. For my switch from Speedlines to wire-spoked wheels the sprocket carrier was a direct swap. I presume the same holds true for Campy wheels.

I got all the parts for my changeover from Road and Race in Australia. They may very well have sprocket carriers if Steve doesn't.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Not true, I have several Campagnolo- Ducati wheels with magnesium sprocket holders....they will brake just as easily as the rest of those infamous wheels.
Today they are unsafe at any speed, I only use those weak Campagnolo's for show purposes.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

just to be pedantic here, DRUM brake mounted sprocket carriers are DIFFERENT to the DISK brake mounted carriers so when finding yours, make sure you specify for which you are after.

* I have never seen anything but aluminium sprocket carriers but that doesn;t mean magnesium ones do not exist. One of my old bikes had campy wheels and the carrier was aluminium on that one. All of my other bevel drives have aluminum sprocket carriors, and all the sprocket carriors that my customers have brought in for new bearings have been aluminum.
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

:roll: :roll:

Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Well, must be some Italian aluminum, because on the Campagnolo wheels the sprocket holder has the same strength (weakness) like the magnesium spokes....
The "lips", inside the sprocket holder, that keeps the rubber damper in place, brake easily when accelerating....after 25 years or more of use..
I know, happened to me.....!!
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

I'm sorry, I'm wrong, just looked at the picture above where you pointed out the aluminium part and the magnesium part....I ment the last.....!!
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

The inner part of the magnesium piece is very weak...
For that reason it takes an attachment but that those of aluminum..but it cuts when agreeing with of the fixation screws.
In my motorcycle that is broken.. :twisted:
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Hey Peter - easy mistake to make!

Pantah - I'm not sure I understand what problem you're referring too. On the magnesium wheels like my old Speedlines the screws holding the cush drive holder onto the wheel would break resulting in a badly damaged wheel if not caught in time. Fortunaltely I noticed mine before it was too late and substituted screws from a Honda motocross bike. That seemed to solve the problem. Is that what's happened with yours?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Hey Bruce

Post by Lumpy »

Hey Bruce, was the change to wire wheels a straight swap?? I`ve been thinking of changing my FPS wheels to spokes and wondered if all the brake disc carriers and cush drive would swap straight over. I have 6 bolt disks. Any pitfalls you encountered on the way would be greatly appreciated.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

The 4 bolt disks have a different offset as compared to the 6 bolt offset. Sprocket carriors will swap over w/o a hitch.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Lumpy - I swapped over from four bolt Speedlines to four bolt wires. To change from six bolt wheels you will need hubs, four bolt disks, bearing carriers, bearings, spacers, bolts, nuts and a cush drive carrier, not to mention of course rims and spokes. In addition you will need an adaptor to mount the rear disk to as the wire wheeled SSs had a smaller diameter disk with a slightly different offset. I got my adaptor from Mdinaitalia. The only good news is that the sprocket carrier is a straight swap.

If you can find an earlier disk you won't need the adaptor and the stock disk brake carrier will work. You will, though, need a different rear caliper carrier. I have an extra disk carrier if you can't find one.

The parts manual for a 1978 SS shows both wheel arrangements so you can compare part numbers. I didn't look closely enough and missed the fact that early and later SSs have different rear brake disks.

Once you get all the details sorted out the wheels will mount up easily. With all the parts involved its not cheap to make the changeover. In my case the fragile reputation of the Speedlines and the fact that the roads around here can be rough meant that I didn't have much choice and I can ride the bike more aggressively now. With your stronger wheels and lack of frost heaves in Oz presumably you would be making the change mostly for looks. As an aside, my wife said that she preferred the look of the Speedlines because they were more unique. I think she makes a good point there.

I hope this explanation isn't too confusing.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

thanks

Post by Lumpy »

Thanks Bruce. It`s no straight swap then. Your right the change was purely for looks. I do like the look of the spokes over the mags. Was then going to eBay the mags to recoupe some costs but might just stay with the FPS`s if it`s going to be a lot of messing about. Thanks for the reply.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Lumpy,
If you call Gowanlochs in sydney you can just buy the lot in a set to suit your 4 bolt OR 6 bolt setup.
It takes out all the hunting around and is cost effective too if you are in OZ.
Thats how I did mine on my 79ss and Im really happy. Obviously you wont get Borranni 4777's you will get Akront or Morad rimns, but they look the part and it helps the steering /handling somewhat when pushing them! And you will still have your original wheels as spares or a change around as the mood suits. I kinda like the look of the FPS's occaisionally as well so I know where Bruce is coming from.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

Return to “Bevel Drive Twins”