Wanted - Campagnolo Cast Mag Wheel - 3.0x18" Rear

Post your bevel drive twin cylinder FOR SALE and WANTED ads in this space......
Osred
Diana

Wanted - Campagnolo Cast Mag Wheel - 3.0x18" Rear

Post by Osred »

If there was ever a time I needed an Angel sent down from Bevel Heaven, it is now! I lost a battle with a rock or brick in the road, and now need the front wheel replaced.

Specifically, it is a front Campagnolo cast magnesium wheel with five single-spokes, WM3 2.15 X 18, which originally came from a 1977 900SD (Darmah). It is the same wheel as shown in Ian Falloon's "Ducati Twins Restoration Guide: Bevel Drive 1971-1985", page 102 (ISBN # 0-7603-0490-4).

Thank you.
Last edited by Osred on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Hey Osred, how was the condition of the Campagnolo inside?
Magnesium wheels are safe for about 15 years, then they can break without warning!
I replaced my 1977 Campagnolo's (still looking good!) last year with aluminum wheels, because I found it no longer safe to drive!
( No, I won't sell them, keeping the wheels for show purposes...!)
Btw what EXACTLY happened with your frontwheel?
ducatistaincallito
Mariana

Post by ducatistaincallito »

Hi:
nice problem.....not..... to have. If it helps, there is a company in Italy called EPM that fabricates (new) both electron (magnesium) or aluminum (anodized) wheels that are distributed by none else than Arturo Magni. Look up their website, google up Arturo Magni MV and go to the special parts section, its a feasting for any Italian bike lover's eyes. Great resource for MV lovers as well.
Cheers, Oreste.
Osred
Diana

EPM, Marchesini, Campagnolo...

Post by Osred »

I have been informed EPM doesn't make wheels for the Ducati twins any more, as Steve Allen has attempted to obtain, but will contact them to hopefully pursuade otherwise. Marchesini is another long shot, and presumably very expensive.

The most ideal situation would be if someone out in Bevel Land has a front single five-spoke Campagnolo! Dust one off and let me know you have come to my rescue. Many of you will say that is a dangerous proposition, but I'm only worried about the infamous Speedlines, not the Campagnolos.

I just don't think converting to a wire wheel set up will look as good.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: EPM, Marchesini, Campagnolo...

Post by Craig in France »

Osred wrote:Many of you will say that is a dangerous proposition, but I'm only worried about the infamous Speedlines, not the Campagnolos.
FWIW, Mick Walker's opinion was that the Campags were even more dangerous than the Speedlines ... :? :(

Ciao

Craig in UK/France
SSD (with FPSs, Speedlines in attic)
SCR
Osred
Diana

Post by Osred »

Craig in UK wrote:
Osred wrote:Many of you will say that is a dangerous proposition, but I'm only worried about the infamous Speedlines, not the Campagnolos.
FWIW, Mick Walker's opinion was that the Campags were even more dangerous than the Speedlines.
What is Mr. Walker's basis for that opinion?
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Several fatal accidents in f.i. "no speedlimit" German highways.....!!
Today it's hardly impossible to get a Campagnolo equiped motorcycle on the road in Germany.
Older magnesium wheels have the internal strenght of old bread.....!!!!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Osred wrote: What is Mr. Walker's basis for that opinion?
His comment came up in the course of a conversation I had with him about Speedlines - Mick was contracted by the then UK importer to handle all the recall work.

From what I can remember, his basic contention was that, while the Campags had been the Dog's Dangly Bits at the time, they were primarily designed as a lightweight racing wheel, i.e. not really intended for use as a road wheel. In his opinion, they should never have been put on Ducati's road bikes. Their abilty to resist the bangs and buffeting of road use - pot holes, kerbs etc - is/was kinda unknown, particularly given who knows what abuse they might have been subjected to over the last 25+ years.

And, as Peter Mille mentions, with the passing of time there's now the issue of potential degradation of the magnesium.

That said, I note that Piero Laverda still uses them on the V6 - but then that's pretty much track use only!

Ciao

Craig
Osred
Diana

Campagnolo Front Wheel: Five-Spoke Four-Bolt Pattern NEEDED

Post by Osred »

If no one is using these five-spoke Campagnolos any more, then there should be a front one somewhere out there. Right???? I could go with a six-bolt FPS set, but then we're talking about new rotors, calipers, paint, etc...
Osred
Diana

Here's an idea...

Post by Osred »

I suppose if any of you would like to just give me a Darmah with the five-spoke Campys, like Dana a/k/a FastFashn was luckily handed, that would work as well. :))
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
Osred
Diana

Now looking for rear wheel, 3.0x18"

Post by Osred »

Someone from Germany came through for me on the front wheel, now I want to return the favor by helping him find a rear Campagnolo five-spoke wheel, 3.0x18".

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Chris
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

Better to keep campagnolo(dangerous with many years!) and to put of aluminum or spokes.
At this moment I am replacing those of my 900ss(80) by of spokes..

Goodluck. :shock:
74-750SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 74-750SS »

Here is a link for a rear currently on the german ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-h-Ducati- ... dZViewItem
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFashn »

74-750SS wrote:Here is a link for a rear currently on the german ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-h-Ducati- ... dZViewItem
Looks like there are som good looking ones up on EBay now.

-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!

Return to “Bevel Drive Twins”