900 SS (1975) - Info Please

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
John Twaites
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

900 SS (1975) - Info Please

Post by John Twaites »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 900SS. I am told by the owner that it is one of only 250 made in the world.

The engine number is 86110 & frame number is 75571. These numbers seem to tie in with the Squarecase lists elsewhere on this excellent website.

I have done some independent research which appears to indicate that there was an initial run of 250 bikes made by the Race Dept, before the main production line got involved.

I would be very grateful if anyone could provide me with any information about this bike / run of 900SS.

I have been a Duke nut since the days when this bike was brand new, but have not been able to afford one until now.

This will be a very expensive purchase for me and I would really appreciate any information that you may have.
ducadesmo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1975 SS

Post by ducadesmo »

Hi John,

the numbers seem to match. I have got a 1975 900SS with similar numbers (engine 086232, frame 0757xx). If you can buy this bike at a reasonable price, you should not hesitate. If you want me to assist you to verify how original the bike is, let me know - I really know these bikes in detail (and can also help with some original spares if need be).
Also check that the engine number has this .1 behind it, like the roundcase 750SS. This is really the sign, that the engine has been (at least partially) assembled in the race department (the bikes were not anymore at that time, they built 249 of the 900 SS and 249 of the 750SS in that year - too much for the race department)

Regards
Achim
ducatincr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ducatincr »

Hi,
I just purchase a 1975 900 SS motor number 086078 and chassis 075544,
I'm from Belgium also, any information will be welcome.
seddy
Mariana

Prices, valuations.

Post by seddy »

If any of you guys are willing to share your purchase prices that would be great, I have been tracking what the ss models have been selling for, and it exceeds significantly what insurance companies are valuing them at.

Thanks.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

insurance

Post by BevHevSteve »

Not to hi-jack this thread, but if you feel that your bike is worth more than your insurance company values it at, then you need to call around and get what is called an "agreed upon value" policy. I have one, it was as simple as saying I wanted this specific bike insured full coverage for $XXXXX - how much? I think it is right over 200 bucks a year.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
seddy
Mariana

Insurance

Post by seddy »

You are right Steve, I work in Insurance and quite a few people get caught by the "actual value" of their bike at claim time, and another little gem called salvage. The current value an insurance company would put on my 1977 900 ss is between $5025, and $7370, its easy to see that a low side could do that much damage.

So as Steve said get a stated value policy, did your insurance carrier require a valuation?

Thanks.
My motorcycle WAS older than my girlfriend.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

ins

Post by BevHevSteve »

photos, write up of work done, costs involved, who did the work [self or hired out]. That was it. I was allowed to basically set up the policy to work in my best interest. This is for my red/silver NCR replica - I am happy with the outcome and feel better when I ride it as I know what the amount of the check will be - no discussion - in case it disappears or gets wrecked.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
ducatincr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ducatincr »

In Europa, below 10000 euros, you don't find anything correct.

Return to “The Rumour Mill”