Unleaded petrol

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
drjon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Unleaded petrol

Post by drjon »

I would like some advice, I have a 900ss just back on the road.
In the Uk we can only get unleaded petrol do I use an additive, if so which one?
Or is there an alternative?

Jon
Craig in France
Paso 906

Unleaded fuel in the UK

Post by Craig in France »

Hi

Regular 95 unleaded is fine. If you're of a nervous dispositon or intending working up a lot of miles, you might want to use some additive such as Castrol Proplus, but I don't think it's really necesary ...

I did once fill with Shell Optimax, but the bike ran so badly I haven't repeated the experiment :) But try it - you ain't going to do any damage.

Ciao

Craig
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

Shell Optimax is a great fuel, but it is denser than standard unleaded. If you want to use it you will need to rejet the carburettors, otherwise it will run too rich. From an octane perspective, normal unleaded should be fine; however the lack of lead in unleaded fuel can be a problem with older designed engines, because they relied on it as a form of lubrication for the valve train. If you are unsure about your engine just add a lead replacement additive to your fuel.
Cheers
Colin Linz
duck-a-tye
Mariana

Post by duck-a-tye »

Here in Oz there is/was a lead replacement fuel which was total crap, (new plugs every couple of hundred ks) but now i use premium unleaded with additive and it seems fine.
Cheers
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

I use Millers VSP (valve seat protection) from Millers ( www.millersoils.com) in my '85 Mille.
It is one of the few lead replacements that will work, according to several tests in classic magazines etc.

Return to “The Rumour Mill”