Ducati bevel drive single 3 wheeler 1960's ?????

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
LOU
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ducati bevel drive single 3 wheeler 1960's ?????

Post by LOU »

Hello,

I am trying to get some info on this 3 wheel Ducati built to carry and show 2
single cylinder motorcycles, checkout the link with pics and a description.
The engine VIN NO. is *100093* can someone help me find what CC and
year the engine is.

Thank You

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x274 ... ics268.jpg
commotoed
Mariana

Post by commotoed »

very cool, love to see more pictures now & along the restoration! eh
78 900GTS, 90 750 Sport, 97 gsf1200 "zipti"
mgh1955
Mariana

Post by mgh1955 »

Lou,

good save

Love the upswept tail fins.....!! But hey I think the stop light is an aftermarket knockoff!!

Mick
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Ducati bevel drive single 3 wheeler 1960's ?????

Post by Craig in France »

LOU wrote:I am trying to get some info on this 3 wheel Ducati built to carry and show 2 single cylinder motorcycles, checkout the link with pics and a description. The engine VIN NO. is *100093* can someone help me find what CC and year the engine is.
Hi Lou,

I think it's based on something called the Ducati Muletto, a three-wheel carry-all similar to the more famous Piaggio Ape.

If so, it's 1956 (ish), 200cc.

Edit: No - 1957 or '58, depending on engine size (175 or 200). See Joseph's post below.

Here's a factory brochure, showing the same front wheel, mudguard, seat and forks(?) as yours

Here's one, with rather different bodywork to yours. But I think this one is from a different era, possibly the late '40s.

Edit: No, this dating is rubbish - see Joseph's better informed post below :). And thanks, Joseph!

And here's a photo of yours (assuming it's the same machine) in somewhat better condition

For more info & photos from where the photo came from, have a look here
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=35984

And finally ...
Phil Aynsley's got some photos of the engine and drive unit, http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/search.php

Edit: Again - not according to Joseph :)

HTH

Craig
Last edited by Craig in France on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Hey Lou,
soory for the delay, I'll try to visit this forum more often.

http://www.papas.ic.cz/ducati-muletto.html

here are some pics of other threewheelers.

I've got an engine 1003** (I forgotten the last digits) and it's a 200cc OHV.
On the right case, just below the cyl is the enginenr : 100xxx and the cc : DM175 (1957) or DM200 (1958). Only produced in these years.
Available as naked :-D of with full enclosure with doors and windshieldwhiper.

You've bought the muletto that was on craigslist ? I got some pics from the PO.
I was interested too but shipping it to Europe would've cost a bit too much.

Damned near impossible to find anything on them.
I bought my engine at Imola's autojumble more than 10 years ago, been looking for other things and never found anything but a copy of the partslist and a original folder.

The engine on PA's site isn't the one in a muletto (muletto being just a general description of loadcarrying 3wheeler).

Later this year I'm visiting a collector in the Alps that has a handfull of MotoGuzzi 3wheelers. Hope he has more info (or leads) on the the Ducati.

If You have more q?s, let me know.
cu
joseph
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Joseph, and thanks.

I've edited my earlier post to highlight your corrections :) .

Ciao

Craig
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Craig,
no need to apologize.
Ducati's history (and especially the weird stuff) isn't documented very well.
Just happened to run into some old belgian mags and piece things together.
The litlle 2stroke is a 60's thing, when Ducati was trying to cash in on the Vespa Ape-rage.
Is the "same" engine as in the 50 SL upto the Mountaineers.
The pics I've gotten are from an (only) other (worse state) that was made with the fins.
Seats are diff.
Have some leads on the builders but will have to travel around in Italy :( to find more :-D .

cu
joseph
LOU
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by LOU »

Thanks to all that have replied to my search to obtain more info on this
Ducati 3 wheeler the writing on the sides is " The Fabulous Ducatis "
I recently contacted Ducati SPA in regards to this 3 wheeler and here was their response.

----- Original Message -----
To: Louis Stellar
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:11 AM
Subject: R: Ducati 3 wheeler

Dear Louis,

I know this bike, because I've received the pictures a couple of months ago. The three wheeler I know as " Muletto ", and it was made by Ducati in late 50 for transport and commercial use, in two versions, 175 and 200 cc.

Your " Muletto " have been possibly prepared for Berliner to promote our bikes in the US, surely prepared in Bologna. I've verified the name of the chassis maker " Carrozzeria Ramazzotti ", located in via Berretta Rossa in Bologna. This company don't exist anymore, but surely Ducati has committed the body work for this three wheeled bike. The original paint of your Muletto was the same of bikes like the 200 Elite, and surely it's something quite rare to see in the US. The hardtop in the driver's position is the original one supplied by Ducati.

Unfortunately, these are the only information that I was able to find, but I think that once the bike is restored, it might be one of the strangest and curious Ducati in the US ( and possibly rare )

Warmest regards,

LIVIO LODI

Da: Louis Stellar [mailto:[email protected]]
Inviato: martedì 2 febbraio 2010 16.29
A: Lodi Livio
Oggetto: Ducati 3 wheeler

Hello,

I recently sent a email to Ducati S.P.A. requesting ANY information on this vehicle and received a response

from Stefan asking to e-mail you directly with pictures. I recently purchased this 3 wheeler just before

the owner was about to scrap it, I believe this is something that Ducati built and sent to Carrozzeria

Ramazzotti for modifications to carry 2 bevel drive singles on the back to display the bikes at motorcycle

events, I was told it was used in the early 1960's at such events as the Daytona Bike Week parade,

it was painted Candy Red with Gold trim and lettered on both sides in Gold " The Fabulous Ducati's "

I believe this was sent to Berliner Motors in Hasbrouck Heights,NJ. in the early 1960's the engine and

frame number is *100093* . The original building address and phone number for Carrozzeria Ramazzotti

as seen on the metal plaque attached to the sides seems to still be the same today.

Any help you can give me in regards to this Ducati 3 wheeler would be greatly appreciated as I believe

this is a piece of Ducati History.

Thank You,

Louis Stellar

2934 Holicong Road

PO BOX 232

Holicong,PA 18928 USA

Phone 215-794-0314

I know there must be some photos of this 3 wheeler in some early
1960's cycle magazine, here is a link to better pictures.

Thank You, LOU

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x274 ... an0003.jpg
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

ImageImage

Here are a couple brochures to look at as well................. actually, 1 brochure with 4 pages, these are all 4 pages for you.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “The Rumour Mill”