Bevels being bought , wrecked for parts

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.

Should a good working Bevel be Parted out ?

Sad indeed
74%
I dont care
15%
You cant stop it anyway ,why should you bother about it
11%

Total votes: 27

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Bevels being bought , wrecked for parts

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All

I wonder how many of the Australia members here follow Ebay for what bikes are selling for, I'd say just about everyone.

There have been a lot of used bevel parts for sale in Australia by one person in particular.

Whenever a Bevel comes up for sale between price ranges of 6 to 8k a bid is placed in the last 5sec's by this person since no username is displayed anymore we can only go by the feedback number of the winner this case 1259. This bike here sold last night for AU$6600 (cheap I thought) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0451562968 anyway back to the post , save the link and wait and see , Why you ask, lets just say this nice cond SD will be parted out down to the last nut & bolt by the winner to feed his back wallet to my count this year alone he is up to 7 bikes most are SD's and GTS's one GTS the one with the green tank he bought about 4 months ago for AU$6700 and its parts are being sold at the moment the item # was140320290676 but its no longer in ebays system (no surprise there) this way no one can track it , have a look at the picture
now I know its not large but you at least can see the green GTS , not to many around with this color are there? take this Item number: 310182181303 look familiar. ? Now take the feedback and match it to the bike that just sold. This bike was a goer and working fine why destroy a good running Ducati when there is not enough of the old girls around these days

The Buyer of these bikes is this person ,{{ no name will be mentioned you can work this out for yourself }} , look at the completed listings and make up your own mind
It just p!sses me off to see these bikes being scraped and parted out , keep going at that rate and the one bikes that will be saved are the once that are owned by you !!!

Food for Thought , I'd like to hear what worldwide member have to say and how , if at all this could be stopped from happening

Martin[/img]
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Well, don't blame him....!!
You can do the same if you wanted to....!!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

There was a guy here in california who used to do this. Prestine F1, early SS bevels etc etc. He would buy em up then you would see the bits for sale a couple days later.

That said I have parted out bikes in the past and probably will do so in the future as well. But the ones I have parted were very high milage units that just didn't make any sense to try to restore.. Like the '78 darmah I parted about 6 years or so ago - the bike was a cummuter for the PO and had 96000 miles when it was parked where it sat for 10 years in a shed.. The bike was a mess.

A friend who races an SS asked if I would sell him the engine as he needed a spare to build up just in case..... I had sat on this bike for several years not being able to decide what to do with it as it was in such bad shape. That was the push for action... That engine helped someone. So the componants got sold as groups.... Front brake system, rear brake system, bodywork, wheels + rotors...

Nothing was in very good shape, but these bits helped out some guys that needed them for their projects... So I didn't feel too bad.

Anyways, I digress. I feel that breaking perfectly good running rare bikes (any bevel drive) is wrong.
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Marty,
I think I met you at the 6 hour. I know the person parting out these bikes. My take on it is that the people selling them to him are bailing out of something and are unwilling to part themselves. Also, if people buy the parts I generally assume that they need them. The only dissapointing thing is that there are keen people who would have bought these bikes to restore as a project.
Ian
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

Nobody is 'bailing or un-willing to part' when selling a registered, running bike, which is what has just happened.
They are selling a functioning motorcycle which can then be passed on to the next owner to use & enjoy.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Dave,
I really was referring to some of the non-functional machines that have been parted. Anyway as long as someone owns a particular item they can do what they like with it.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I dont have any problems when the bike is past its use by date eg; 90k and the rest of the bike looks like a pig , It would not be economically sound for anyone to restore a bike of this nature, the cost would just blow out any budget.
I bought a bike like that last year and to bring it back to where it should be would have out weight the price of the bike twice over and yes I did strip that one as there were parts that I have since used on my restores, the rest went to people not because I needed the money but because it helped them out

Most bikes that this person has bought were (as they are no longer alive) in good cond and ready for any day time use and any newcomer to the realm of Bevel Ducatis would have been proud new owners

Sorry wasn't me at the 6 hour - Ian

Cheer Marty
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Bevels being bought , wrecked for parts

Post by Craig in France »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote: <snip> The buyer of these bikes is this person {{ no name will be mentioned, you can work this out for yourself }}. Look at the completed listings and make up your own mind.
Shame, too, that this person has otherwise contributed so much to our knowledge and understanding of the marque.
Martin Mille / SSD wrote: It just p!sses me off to see these bikes being scraped and parted out - keep going at that rate and the one bike that will be saved are the ones that are owned by you !!! Food for Thought , I'd like to hear what worldwide members have to say and how, if at all, this could be stopped from happening.
Truth to tell, Martin, it's a free market and there's nothing you can do to stop it. On a personal level, you can refuse to buy parts yourself from him - btw, there is (was?) another Bevel scrapper in Oz who I personally will not buy from for pretty much the same reason. Otherwise, as you've done, you can publicise the activities of these people on Tinternet and leave other owners to make up their own minds ...

And: I'd like to believe that all of the second-hand parts that I've bought over the years have come from crashed and non-runners. But I'd be a liar to say I really believed it. So we are all part of the problem - no demand = no supply.

Same thing is happening with Laverdas, btw, and has been for quite some time. They are worth so much more in bits than as assemblies.

It's a wicked world ...

Ciao

Craig
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

I think its a shame to part out a perfectly good motorcycle. Yes, I DO need parts, but I would never personally strip one down to bits. As many of you have read my posts over the past year, and looked trough my photos, my SD was a rusted out siezed up junk of a bike. But with minimal resources at hand and a tiny back yard shed to work in, I have it running and on the road again where a bike like that belongs. It wouldnt have happened without donor bikes. I guess its a catch 22..........
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Craig,
I think Laverda has turned a corner and the prices of complete bikes is now getting a move on.
Ian
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Can of worms here Martin. I have to agree with all the above comments; they are not mutually exclusive. But the main irritating thing about parting out SDs and GTSs is that SD parts end upon GTS, and viceversa, and even on SS and MHR bikes. And so, over time, we will know even less about which part is correct for which year and model. Most ebay sellers know that if they have the magic words Bevel SS or MHR in their item description they get more attention and a higher price. Most buyers think that because a part offered fits, or is suitable, it must be correct. And the Great Italian Lucky Dip of the 70s will be used, as always, to cover these departures from the parts book. I was recently involved in the purchase of a 79 SD off ebay and found that it was one of the most original examples I have ever seen anywhere. It was dirty and a bit shabby and so the seller didn't really understand how good it really was. The first thing that struck me was how lucky that this bike was going to a good home ( not mine unfortunately) instead of being parted out for bits and pieces. And yet, now, the very few pieces that are needed will most probably come from the donor SDs. The new owner of the SD is happy that people are parting out these bikes because it means there are less of them and so their value will rise,,,,. seen the SD for $14k on the Trading Post? Bloody can of worms.
Are you talkin' to me?
mgh1955
Mariana

Post by mgh1955 »

14k for a 90k darmah?? ... tell him he's dreamin'

Mick
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

He is, but it wont be long with the way its going & he will get it.

The beauty I have always found with bevel Ducati's is most stuff can be fixed/reco'd etc. but this clown wrecking bikes to supply parts that are functioning also means lots of repairable parts will be discarded because its easier to buy the part than fix it.

Dave Ward
edit by admin - there will be absolutely NO name calling from here on out. Period. End of discussion
mgh1955
Mariana

Post by mgh1955 »

Yeah, it's unfortunate but at some point the market will reach equilibrium. (Riders prepared to pay a price for a going machine outbidding the breakers).

I would assume that it has been a (very) long time since any rapide's or comets have been canibalised.

What I don't comprehend is the extent to which some of the components are broken down to their individual parts. For example breaking down a breather unit to the tower, the labrynthe, the cap, the hose and the 'spring' and selling individually?

Mick
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

Maybe ol' mate hasn't made enough from writing books???

Return to “The Rumour Mill”