Ethanol and Fiberglass?

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
Scott Clarke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ethanol and Fiberglass?

Post by Scott Clarke »

My single has a fiberglass tank. I'm now getting it running after 12 years in mothballs. I have heard that there are now problems with fiberglass tanks being disolved by ethanol. Here in Oregon we have mandated 10% ethanol in our gas. When I installed the tank years ago I did use a treatment on its interior. How concerned should I be about the ethanol?

Thanks,
-Scott
It's not how fast you go, but how you go fast!
Mohawk
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Mohawk »

Interesting to see this question come up. I was reading about this on another forum earlier today.

extract below from one ot the members

Moreover, those of you with vintage bikes that have fibreglass tanks had better start planning as ethanol melts -- yes MELTS -- fibreglass on contact. There is currently a fairly large lawsuit by boat owners against the various government entities which mandate Ethanol as boat gasoline tanks are regularly fibreglass or plastic since steel rusts quickly at sea. :shock:
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

There is a company called Caswell that sell an ethanol resistant coating for fuel tanks.It is popular with the Brit bike owners and I haven't heard anything negative about it.It is my understanding that the Kreme coatings don't hold up to the ethanol in todays pump gas.Caswell also sells plating kits so prepare yourself to get tempted to recoat every metal part you have!
Scott Clarke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Scott Clarke »

Thanks for your replys. I hadn't seen them until today, so in the meanwhile I coated the tank with Kreme. Good to know about Caswell. I'll report back if I have trouble.
It's not how fast you go, but how you go fast!

Return to “The Rumour Mill”