Stop tank rust.

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Stop tank rust.

Post by bobnorton »

Looking in the tank of my 250 I notice rust patches that have appeared since they have been adding ethanol , I also hear that resin based tank sealers are also affected, so now i need to derust and protect, any ideas??
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

tank rust

Post by Lumpy »

The tank on my SS got really rusty inside. I went to a large automotive stockist and they had a kit. It was American made and cost about $65 AUD
I can`t for the life of me remember the name of the stuff but it was aimed at the classic/vintage bike market and from memory had a picture of an Indian on the box. The kit contained 3 components, the first 2 prepped it up and the last was a thick goo that you poured in, rolled it around then had to leave the tank upside down for 4 days so the excess dried on the roof of the tank and not on the bottom. It was great stuff. The point I`m trying to make is maybe go to a large automotive paint stockist, tell them what you want as I did and they`ll probably sort you out. Since I did it I`ve seen the stuff many times, even seen it advertised in bike bike mags. Sorry I could`nt be more help. If the name comes to me I`ll put in another thread.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

caswell plating is the stuff I recommend

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Steve,
I just had a look at the Caswell site and there are some interesting products in there. Do you know how successful the anodizing and plating kits are?
Ian
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i only have experience with the tank sealer in both f'glass and steel tanks
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

I have used a product called "Rusteco" to clean out the rust in my 900SS, Darmah, Laverda Jota and Honda CB750. This is a citrus based cleaner that can be rinsed with water. I bought a 5 gallon plastic drum and this fills up a tank nicely. The instructions state to leave the stuff in for 2 days, but I find it is best to leave it in for a week or so. Simply pour the stuff out, and rinse with water, and dry. Had rust blooms on my 900 and Darmah, and a coat of rust on the Laverda and Honda. All were left clean as a whistle, and since the stuff is citrus based, it does not etch or remove metal.

You can then Caswell coat the inside if you want to. I have used Caswell with great results on fiberglass tanks, and may consider using it for all of my steel tanks to keep the rust off. I can attest that the ethanol in modern gas will not eat this coating, unlike some others that I have not had good luck with.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

When I store my bikes, I empty the fuel tanks, and put some Engine Guard Vapour Oil in them, guaranteed no rust.....!!
www.frost.co.uk

Home | About us | Contact us Buy from Euro Agents | HOW DO I? | Events

Engine
> Engine Guard Classic Vapour Oil (250ml) carry on browsing >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand Name

Item Code
Z127

Product Name
Engine Guard Classic Vapour Oil (250ml)

Product Description

It provides outstanding protection to engines that are used infrequently. It contains contact and vapour phase corrosion inhibitors, which provide protection even if the liquid is not in contact with the internal surfaces. Compatible with most classic engine oils and it does not have to be drained prior to running. For most engines add approx 50 to 75ml to the sump, for engines of 3 litres and above, add approx 100 to 125ml.
Not compatible with fully synthetic oils, or Vegetable oils.

Datasheet

Health & Safety sheet

Price ex vat: £16.5957
Price inc vat: £19.09

In Stock

Qty

Average Rating: Rate this product:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Line:
01706 758 258
Your Basket
Item Qty

Total: £0.00 inc VAT
edit / view basket | Checkout

FROST
Catalogue
FROST
Newsletter

More from Frost
Postage & Packing
14 day money back guarantee
Terms & conditions

Return to “The Rumour Mill”