Thinking Belt Drive....900SS

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
jc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Thinking Belt Drive....900SS

Post by jc »

I'm thinking for flogging off my BMW 'toaster 'r50/5 and getting something bigger.
I like the mid 90's 900 SS's but have never ridden one.
anyone got any tips or thoughts on these models?
I had a 85 GPZ 900 a couple of years ago but it was fast and wallowly and too quiet.
john
park
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by park »

i had a 1996 sp. it was probably the best handling bike i ever owned. i've had monsters, 916, st2, hypermotard, 1150gs. not tremendous power, but still fast enough for the street.
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

I just bought this one last Sunday:

It's a 1997 900ss/sp. I bought a new 900ss/cr in '95, sold it to buy a 996 in 2000, but always swore I'd buy another one "someday".

As far as I'm concerned the 900ss/sp is the best deal out there in the world of Ducati right now. There are some well documented "typical" problems with them but most of those have been addressed by now.

You can pick a nice one up for around $4k-5k these days. Lots of torque, the riding position isn't bad (I used to commute on mine, 65 miles each way) and if you like loud... with aftermarket pipes and an open airbox, it is painfully loud. Literally. I'm now sourcing a stock airbox lid for mine to tone down the intake noise. The exhaust.. I've got a set of stock pipes on the way but will likely keep the aftermarket pipes for a while - I think the two valve bikes sound better than the four valve bikes.

http://www.teamyikes.com/Resources/duc900ss.wav

That's a recording of my '95 with FbF pipes.

I would (did) buy the latest SP I could find ('97 was the last year for them) or a '98 FE if you want to spend a little extra cash. It will come with a solo tail and the nifty high mounted pipes.

The CR model isn't bad either, but the '96 and up version has a pretty trashy front end that can't be modified or rebuilt. Or so I've heard...
WestDuc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Buying mid 90's 900ss

Post by WestDuc »

I may be late on the recommendation but I would highly recommend it! I have not had a bike in 15 years and last year I wanted to get back in the game. Through the 80's and early Nineties, I had driven Suzuki 750's, Z1000 Kaw and a Honda 1000 Sabre.

I wanted something with a touch of classic style, As it turned out my buddy was selling a mint 1994 900SS CR. The bike was in super condition and had after 14 years, just 6500 miles... Bought it for 4k

Getting back into the bike was a bit sketchy at the outset, but over the past year I have really worked to understand the balance, tourque and required riding style and I am having a blast. The bike has demanded that I become more technically competant and by doing so I am really enjoying every turn and the acceleration that comes at every apex. I am a weekend warrior and i occasionaly take the bike to work.

Commuting in Traffic is brutal on this machine. I do not recommend it, however finding nice sweeping country roads and this bike is right at home.

I have two seats. The stock seat with cowling ...looks cool, however after 50 miles your butt can get pretty sore. I also have a custome Corbin Gunfighter seat that drops the positon another inch with a wider/deeper saddle and gives you the impression that you are riding "in" the bike. I highly recommend it. I took a run up to Vermont last weekend logging 300miles in one day and I was perfectly fine. Wrists were a bit tweaked but other than that no problem. I am 6' 192lbs

The bike gets lots of looks thru town and it sounds awesome with aftermarket carbon fiber pipes. Really throaty.

For 4k this bike has been a super value and one that I will place as the cornerstone to a new collection of bikes in the years to come. I love it[img]
jc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

GOT ONE!!

Post by jc »

I bought a Jap import 01' 900ss here in NZ for 10k ( 5.9K US) with 17k km on the clock, its been so well looked after it looks like new.
Its loaded with carbon fibre goodies.
Very different to ride than the 900SD, taking a while to get used to the riding position,brakes and suspension.
Sounds AWESOME and with around 75 HP on tap does not hang around.
Picture was taken outside pub in Raglan, on the west coast, my friends came along for a first ride.
john

Return to “The Rumour Mill”