darmah motor ,unusal stampings

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
aussie_bevel
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

darmah motor ,unusal stampings

Post by aussie_bevel »

Hey guys
Recently picked up another Darmah for parts but on closer inspection at home noticed numerous stampings on the motor casings stating
"DPATEN". Appears to be the same size and style of the normal motor stampings. Any thoughts ??????? or actual knowledge of what they are.
One suggestion has been that the factory used this motor as one of their test motors before any changes were put into full production.
Hope to find out what it means anyway
engine no. 905 659 DM860
cheers
Paul
750sport
Mariana

Post by 750sport »

Could it be that a Mr or Mrs D Paten owned the engine, it went to a mechanics for a repair and they were worried that someone would take it to be thers so they used letter stamps to identify it?

Out of curiousity, does Paten show on parts that can be seperated from each other?

I would say if it was a pattern it would be spelt so. Italian for pattern is modello.
aussie_bevel
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by aussie_bevel »

It has a known history and no there was not a D Paten in it, that was my first thoughts as well. motor casings only stamped, cyclinders/heads contain no markings.
I thought heads were stamped with manufacture dates (circle with year and month) as well or is that applicable to certain point in time

Return to “The Rumour Mill”