Darmah red & white

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
stooedwardes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah red & white

Post by stooedwardes »

I feel like I may open a can of worms with this one.

I appreciate that Ducati paint quality control was not the best in the 70-80’s but I would like to get as close as possible to original colours (red/white Darmah). Unfortunately, I don’t have anything reliable to colour match from.

Has anyone re sprayed and been happy with the the red and white colour match? Are you able/willing to share the paint codes with me?

I notice there is some good info re red codes for 1980’s MHR on the forum…is it likely they used the same red for both?

Stew
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Darmah red & white

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Stew,

FWIW:

Ducati's paint supplier at the time was a company called Lechler (still in existence, btw). Colour classification systems such as are widespread today, for example Pantone or RAL, were not used by Lechler.

Lechler's own colour code for the red and white Darmahs are:
Red: DUC A12
White: DUC A8.

Unfortunately, I can't translate this info into anything that might be useful for you .... :( . Whether anyone at Lechler might be able to do so ... well, I don't hold out a lot of hope, but it might be worth a try. http://www.lechler.eu/

BTW: For the red of the MHR, the code is different: DUC A13. (In passing, it may be worth noting that the colours on the IoM bikes were those of the main sponsor, Castrol).
stooedwardes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stooedwardes »

Thanks Craig,

That is great info. I will do a little follow up and see if I can get some answers. I will post back if I find anything!

Cheers
Stew
stooedwardes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stooedwardes »

With Craig’s info I have found an eBay supplier of Lechler touch up paint (larger quantities available too).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184798621154

Unfortunately, they only ship to mainland UK. Getting closer though!
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Stew: From memory, the Darmah red was more orange than the MHR red. I was very successful matching MHR red at a local autoshop. They used a colour scanner on my lower fairing and matched both perfectly.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”