SSD Paint codes again

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mdal8798
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SSD Paint codes again

Post by mdal8798 »

Hi,
Have searched forum regarding paint code for SSD and currently have bodywork at painters.
I have not seen an SSD in the flesh and the bike has non original paintwork. There is some evidence of a blue colour on back of side covers but it obviously had been sanded back and cannot be used for a colour match.

I have found a couple of posts from years ago that code is VW marathonblau-metallic (L96M).

My question is has anyone on forum used this paint code and is it a true representation of the original colour?
Am i also correct in saying this is the only colour used and there are no other colours used apart from decals for lettering, stripes etc..

Thanks
Mark :-D
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: SSD Paint codes again

Post by Craig in France »

mdal8798 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:46 pm <snip> I have found a couple of posts from years ago that code is VW marathonblau-metallic (L96M). My question is has anyone on forum used this paint code and is it a true representation of the original colour?
Hi Mark,

That's the reference I have, altho' I know it has also been suggested it was a Fiat colour. It could easily have been both, of course, since Lechler may very well have supplied paint to both VW and Fiat.

More than that I cannot say. The last time I had any paint work done was in 2003 (! gulp) and unfortunately there's no record on the invoice of what colour was used. But the result was 100% perfect. The painter was Dennis's Motorcycle Resprays in Cirencester UK, so I guess you could always ask him - assuming he's still working.
mdal8798 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:46 pm Am i also correct in saying this is the only colour used and there are no other colours used apart from decals for lettering, stripes etc.
Yes. All the dark blue and white is decals - kits still available.

HTH, if not much :?

Craig
Gardner
Diana

Post by Gardner »

I used L96M on my SSD, very happy!
1978 SD Darmah
1979 SSD Darmah
1981 900SS
2017 Desert Sled
1982 Bimota HB2
Craig in France
Paso 906

Gardner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:14 am I used L96M on my SSD, very happy!
Now there's a useful post <> ! Thanks, Gardner! (the bike looks good, too :-D. But then I'm biased .. )
Gardner
Diana

Post by Gardner »

Maybe the reason for the low number produced was because they were too pretty?
Since this pic was taken the brake lever was replaced with the correct one.
1978 SD Darmah
1979 SSD Darmah
1981 900SS
2017 Desert Sled
1982 Bimota HB2
mdal8798
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mdal8798 »

Thanks Guys
L96M it will be then.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Gardner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am Maybe the reason for the low number produced was because they were too pretty?
Sounds perfectly plausible to me :-D

Making what was seen to be a compromise machine was always gonna be tricky, to be honest. And then I don't think the exploits of a certain Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood helped much either. Suddenly, every wanted one of those dressed-up, red-green-white, obsolescent SS thingies ...*

No wonder the factory didn't want to make 'em. "200, and then that's it". But the customer decided otherwise, and the Dramah SS was toast.

* Including me - for a while :shock:

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”