73 Sport headlight & sidecover question

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

73 Sport headlight & sidecover question

Post by jakebrake »

The headlight shell on my 73 Sport doesn't have all the holes for indicator lights (they were in the fairing). I'm removing the fairing and need to drill these holes in the shell. Can someone measure how far the holes are from TDC? And how far back from the seam? The flatted hole for the light switch will be a trick to create.
Thanks a lot,
Fred
Attachments
Headlight indicators2.jpg
tobaccoblender
Diana

Re: 73 Sport headlight & sidecover question

Post by tobaccoblender »

I'll do it today and get back to you.
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

So what was your sidecover question?
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Ok Jakebrake
The idiot lights are exactly 35mm apart (centre to centre) and exactly 20mm back from the joint between the shell and the chrome ring.
Is that you info you wanted?
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Mine is a 74 Sport, but I think the headlight is the same. They are not the dimensions on mine. I'll take a pic.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Actually, close enough, my mistake. Pics following.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I haven't been too rigorous with accuracy, so use your own judgement too! Hope that helps.

Kev
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jakebrake »

Thanks for the quick replies about the headlight holes. How about the light switch? I see it is further back (33.8). Is it about 35mm down from the nearest indicator hole? And what holds the light switch in place? Some stamped brackets and rivets?

The sidecover question: Looking at Phil A's photos of a "stock" Sport I see the expanded-metal behind the cover is painted. Is this stock or should the metal be un-painted aluminum? I have the metal off and so I could go either way.
Thanks again!
tobaccoblender
Diana

Post by tobaccoblender »

Well I'm 95% certain it should be unpainted which means it has to be removed before any painting is done. I'm just at the same stage with mine and am actively trying to figure out the best way to free it from the resin they stuck it in place with.
I have seen little rectangles of that stuff for sale but I can't remember which site it was. But I am pretty well decided it's likely to get pretty messed up during the removal operation (Dremel?) so I want a couple of new bits ready to reinstall after painting.
I can't help you with the lightswitch position as mine is 74, so the light switch moved to the CEV handlebar switchblock thus I have no switch on my headlight bucket. _?_
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jakebrake »

Similar expanded metal available here, but not as small as original material. They will cut small sheets but still costs about $60.
http://www.mcnichols.com/products/expan ... /aluminum/
I used a Dremel to undercut and remove the old mesh from my beat-up sidecovers, but it was tedious.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”