Need headlamp spring help - pics to see

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

Need headlamp spring help - pics to see

Post by rjk40 »

Can someone remind me how to reattach the two little springs that hold the headlamp in the shell? After 40 years, I have lost the image of how they fit. My best guess is that they are somehow sprung tightly into the two pairs of little notches on the edge of the middle of the three headlamp retaining rings, to allow for "easy" replacement of the headlamp, which in this case is not a halogen but a regular sealed beam unit. The parts manuals' picture of this area is profoundly unhelpful, in terms of showing these springs' locations any more than their general vicinity. Also, the Haynes manual has no pics to show this piece when replacing the lamp.

I have included a link to three pics showing the springs, with what I think might be the right location; if so, do I just force the springs into the notches, or am I incorrect?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124760992 ... 474275728/

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Richard

:doh:
Last edited by rjk40 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: Need information

Post by ducadini »

Isn't there a screw to adjust the headlamp in the chrome ring ?
Then they should be on the other side of the lamp, everything spaced at 120°
Not ?

ciao
ducadini

Last time I took the SS for a spin was 1982.
I've lost track of time too :-(
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
rjk40
750 GT

Re: Need information

Post by rjk40 »

Yes, there is one adjustment screw whose head is on the outside of the Chrome outer ring.

I don't quite understand your comment about the 120 degree spacing, as there are only two springs; do you mean 120 spacing for the two springs PLUS the adjusting screw, in which case that's close to what the two pairs of grooves are away from the adjust screw.

What I'd like to see is a picture of the springs when placed properly; I believe that would clear up my brain fog a bit.

I hope that you can spin that SS up soon.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”