Rebuild seat for 74 Sport

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Rebuild seat for 74 Sport

Post by jakebrake »

I'm working on the seat for my 74 Sport. I have the old seat frame and a new fibreglass upholstery hinged pan, but need the hinge (McMaster) and latch hardware (I'll fab this) was lost years ago. Can someone post some photos of their seat tilted up to show the latch and hinge? Also, it seems like the seat padding would hit the tank when tilting the seat pan and prevent the seat from opening very far. Is this a normally problem?
And.. I plan to send the pan to Sargents for foam and covering. Can anyone recommend a good source for the upholstery?
Thanks, Fred in Ohio
Slowpoke28787
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Rebuild seat for 74 Sport

Post by Slowpoke28787 »

Fred,
I'm in the same boat. My newly acquired 74 Sport came with a replacement seat base. The seat is not attached and the lock is missing. McMaster Carr has an impressive offering of cam locks that I think I can find one to work if we could just get someone to post a photo or two. I need to see a correct original hinge set up too.

Here is the MC catalog link http://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-locks/=t2bux3

Daron
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Here's some pics of my Sport seat. I've only had it since 2006 so I can't absolutely validate the originality, but the fibreglass components are consistent in construction with those of the day I have seen on others. As to the hinge..wouldn't have a clue!

Hope that helps.

Kev
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

hey Kev - To clear the forks well actually the verlicchi headlight brackets, from hitting the tank on my 73 sport, I have to slide the tank all the way back in the frame bracket slots, then also need to slide the seat all the way back, but there is still next to no clearance between seat and tank so lifting the seat is not easy. I am going to elongate the mounting slots in the seat the seat so give a bit more room between seat and tank. Have you do so as it appears you have a plenty large enough gap there on yours...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hiya Steve,

Yes, I slotted them about 10mm and even then the seat padding first contacts the tank when opened at about 30 degrees, but it opens comfortably past 45 degrees. Mine is a 74 with the steel tank and the verlicchi clip-ons with the forward extension mount which helps with the tank clearance issue for the clip-ons. My tank is mounted all the way forward on the frame lug slots and at full lock the headlight ear mounts on the forks have about 5mm clearance to the tank. I wonder if the tank dimensions are ever so slightly different if you have a 73 fibreglass tank?

Kev
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I went out and removed then reinstalled the tank and seat to refresh my memory. The pins on the tank contact the seat glass. So I have to left both then set down. It's a PITA. I think the extra room to move the seat back a bit will help I may just install one of Evan Wilcox's tanks as per my original plan as I had him make these with a bit extra clearance around the fork aread as well as a qtr inch shorter from frame mount to back of tank to give more clearance................ Am not in a hurry and have not thought about this for months actually. I do need to make a decision one way of the other thought..
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jakebrake »

Here are some photos of the seat latch (not mine, from a BH lister)
Attachments
Seat_00004.jpg
Seat_00002.jpg
Seat_00001.jpg

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”