76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

If you need technical information or help with your early right hand gearchange 900SS engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
hunde
Mariana

76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

Post by hunde »

alright, this issue has kept this bike off the road for 10 years - quite a shame..

Years ago, I had the bike getting stuck in gear. Took the selector box to Desomto in SF, and they replaced some springs and shimmed the box.

Finally re-installed it, and immediately it jammed.The issue seems to be that the arr on the end of the crossover shaft (with the pin) pops out of the 'box "C"on upshift. box is perfect on the bench though. Have had several talented and bevel knowledge people look at this and can't figure it out. We actually extended the "C" on the arm 1/4", but it popped right out.

So here are my ideas:

Try to find another crossover shaft "arm" or two to see if I can make some combo work.

Modify arm and c with joints similar to rearset joints. saw one once, so perhaps it would work.

Convert the thing back to rt foot shift. I found this list of parts needed, and I know the shaft that puts splines on outside of the box (shifting spindle 0608.13.20), and I can work it from there. Here is the list:

brake petal 0795.41.100

footpeg mounting stud 0795.69.020

two circlips (or seegers) 735000.1542

return spring for brake petal. . . 0795.41.030

Not too concerned about originality, but don't want it to stand out too much. also don't want aggressive rear-sets, I'm keeping the "Grand Touring" positioning for long range comfort.

Thanks in advance!

Tom in SF

gear shift lever 0601.13.020

shifting spindle 0608.13.200
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: 76 860 crossover shaft problems, still...

Post by wdietz186 »

I may have the cross shaft levers buried out in the garage wasteland as I converted my SS to the proper side shifting. It may be a stupid question but have you played with the eccentric adjustment on the shift box?
hunde
Mariana

Post by hunde »

Oops, kinda the wrong forum - gonna move it..

Yeah, I have tried just about every combo of adjustability and it still pops. Frustrating...
jockduck
Mariana

Post by jockduck »

Hi, You need to rotate the small "C" lever down at least one spline, the pin should stay in the slot for the full movement.
Jock
Jod
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jod »

Hello Tom

PM me with your email and I can send you some detailed pics of the crossover shaft on my 1976 900SS.

It would be exactly the same I think.

John

Return to “Squarecase Right Hand Gearchange Engines > early 900SS”