O-ring Dipstick

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Spub
Mach 3

O-ring Dipstick

Post by Spub »

I recently purchased an O-ring dipstick off of Ebay which, in California parlance, is "slicker than snot on a doorknob". This dipstick consists of a threaded ring that screws into the threaded hole on the engine case (where the stock dipstick screws in), and into this threaded ring inserts a pull out dipstick that seals with two O-rings. To check oil level, all you do is pull out the dipstick, you do not have to get your spanners out. Makes in very convenient to check oil level. To all you originality freaks, yes, I know, it is not original or NOS, but it if means it will make it much easier to check the oil level on a consistent basis, I'm all for non original/non stock....

My question is, does anyone know who makes this item, and where I can get another one? No markings on the item, and somebody's gotta take credit for it.....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Spub,

I may be proved wrong, but I seem to recall Anthony Bignall had them listed on his website in OZ. He manufactures brilliant replacement sump filters for bevel drive Dukes. He "is" however very difficult to make contact with. I purchased six filters from him about 3 years ago and the order eventually took 7 months to be finished. You may have to wait some time for a reply, but here's his website.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/biggers/st ... lterC.html

Not sure if he still makes the dipstick as it's not shown on the site anymore, but send him an E-mail anyway, you never know !

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

Thanks Rick, Emailed them. Saw a picture of his oil filter, how does that work? Is it simply an improved strainer, like the stock item?
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Spub,

The filter is simply a much more precise replacement for the original stock plastic item. The fit to the off side of the sump is a snug fit to stop particles sneaking through and the stainless mesh is extremley fine and filters far more than the plastic original. The body is made from 7000 series aircraft Aluminium so quite robust. Not cheap to buy, but you never have to replace it. Just take it out and flush with each oil change.

Certainly not as good as an Auto paper type filter, but far better than the stock item. I thought it was worth the spend if it stops metal particals lunching my big end.

Cheers from down under
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”