Coils for GT750 - new or old?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Coils for GT750 - new or old?

Post by fritz_tc »

I am restoring a GT 750 that has no ignition system. I have a chance to buy some (very expensive) NOS original coils. I am going to put on electronic ignition - but should I buy these old coils.

Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Geoff
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I would only ask "why"

Personally, I would pick up a DYNA S electronic ignition system with 5 ohm coils and a dyna wire kit and be done with it. Easy to install and once set,.......... fagetaboudit

I have everything you need here

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1157

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Fritz, Do what the man says! The old coils were marginal at best.They made Lucas stuff look good.
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

I put the dyna system on my bike. With the coils mounted under the tank no one can see them anyway, and I'm convinced the Dyna ignition is one of the reasons my bike starts first kick virtually every time.

I wouldn't even consider using the old style coils...
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I've got a Dyna system on 74 Sport with the original coils. Starts first or second kick every time, but I might be lucky - and I would have no issue with running new coils, but I'm not going to change what works well. A fellow I know who rebuilds roundcase rectifiers for fun is of the opinion the old coils are unfairly maligned. He reckons they are very good coils, producing 22K volts using reasonable amps. Having said that, I'm sure things have come a long way with newer technology, and things do decay with time. But I still like seeing those old things when i have to lift the tank off! Why not try them first?

Kev
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

re-reading, i see you don't have the original coils, in which case, I agree, just buy the the new ones.

Kev
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

.....A fellow I know, who rebuilds roundcase rectifiers for fun, is of the opinion the old coils are unfairly maligned. He reckons they are very good coils, producing 22K volts using reasonable amps.....
The stock coils were measured to be much lower than that. And even twenty two thousand volts is not much. Make an informed decision:

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/articles/coils.html
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

Thanks for the advice guys...new coils it is.

Now all I have to do is find a place that sells coils while the Aussie dollar exchange rate is good. ;)

Geoff
Phactory
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Phactory »

Has anyone used PVL coils from Germany? They are a direct replacement for the stock coils and are supposed to be 3 to 4 times hotter than the stock units. They come in the same 1.5 inch size and slip right into the stock brackets. They can be found around $50/each.

I guess this was an old racers trick setup from the 70's before Dyna's were available.

If Dyna's are fitted, how is the mounting setup?

Thanks, Phil
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Phactory wrote:
If Dyna's are fitted, how is the mounting setup?
I made a pretty simple "H" shaped bracket and put them under the tank. there is barely enough room for them so you have to make it as tidy as possible and maybe tweak the angle they're mounted at a little.

http://www.teamyikes.com/RC/roundcaseprojecf.html

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”