250 ID numbers

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
K-Mac
Mariana

250 ID numbers

Post by K-Mac »

Can anyone can comfirm what year my 250 desmo is?
It has been painted yellow/orange has drum brakes,CEV tacho & speedo
Eng. number DM250D 111866
Frame number DM250GT 104092
The "Standard Catalog" does not quote any 250 numbers
Any help would be great
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

I'm not sure but its one good looking machine :vroom:
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Looks like 73/74 from information i have, more 74 but there will be others who know better than i.
K-Mac
Mariana

Post by K-Mac »

Cheers Bobnorton,Is that a guess or do you think it is?I have studied the register on this site and there is a '74 with similar engine & frame numbers but all the research I have done is that the 73/74 came with brembo disc brakes.If someone has a 250D to compare F & E numbers and are confident about the build year this would be of great help.The guy I recently aquired it off swore it is a 1970 but if it was why would it be painted up like this?A silver shotgun trying to be a later model?
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Hi, I have a 239 ccm Desmo witch is produced in 1975.
This is stamped at the aluminium headstock sticker, and since the production of the singles was closed down at the end of 74, mine must be one of the last.

Mine engine number is around 1300 numbers higher than yours, and the frame is around 700 higher.

The disk brake was an option until the end of the production and there are 73/74 desmo´s with drum brake - it is not unusual.

Most of latest 73/74 singles had electronic ingition.

From my point of wiev it looks like a 73/74 Yellow Desmo, but not only because of the look...(color, sidepanels and seat).

Silver Shotgun had fiberglass tank and an all over polished front fork with no atachment for tacho and speedometer.

Hope this can help a little bit.

Silver Shotgun was 71/72, Yellow Desmo was 73/74.

Anyway, Your bike looks great.

Best Regards Per
K-Mac
Mariana

Post by K-Mac »

Thanks Per,Very helpful and infomative.I tend to agree that it is 74/73.
Regards K-Mac
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Its common for Duc singles to be restored using availiable parts which often blurs the true identity , and some are built up to decieve, however if the motors a desmo its likely to be the genuine article, the earlier narrow case are more difficult to date accurately, mine is registered as 69 but could have been made 66 , frames and engine numbers sometimes look years appart and probably were built that way. I was sure my 250 was a Dianna ( states bike) but now think its a european Mark3.
K-Mac
Mariana

Post by K-Mac »

Thanks to all who have helped with the ID.I am now convinced it is a 73 model.When it was restored it was done by a very respected Ducati mecanic and wouldn't like to think he would put his name on a replica.
Fosty
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Fosty »

I have a 250SCR, the eng no is 700ish lower than yours. It's a completely original bike, running points ignition. I'm the second owner and have all the original registration documents!

Registered in Italy, March 1972.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”