SS Fuel tank KM range ?

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

SS Fuel tank KM range ?

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

What sort of range are you getting on your std 17 fuel tank ?
I filled the tank the other day to its full 17L and 5mins later fuel was coming out from under the cap, I now the caps dont always seal is there a way around this at all? I drained the tank and measured 15L and the fuel was about 6mm below the filler spurt and at this point the fuel stayed where it was in the tank because now it had room to move. I don want to drill the tank and fit an external breather but there must some way to fix this issue.
After all 15L isnt going to get you far in OZ is it now?
Grover
Diana

Fuel Tank

Post by Grover »

Martin, my Darmah tank will vent if I fill it past the bottom of the filler neck as well, pretty scary stuff with fuel sizzling onto the cylinders at the fuel pumps. It gets between 12klm and 15klm to the litre and on a steady 110kph I start looking for fuel about 150klm.....and by that time this battle worn body is glad to get off and stretch.
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
darren nix
Diana

km range

Post by darren nix »

Martin, i am running a prozone fuel conditioner satchel which i purchased from repco and am getting upto 22 km a litre on the highway out of my mhr
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

150km and get off the bike might do me good as well but another 50 to 100 km range would suit me better, you got those ring in yet ?
I might be up you way next month if you can get some time off during the week might catch up at the Mobil servo on the hwy as I will be on my way to the Gold Coast for a quick squirt

Darren the penny just dropped as to who you are LOL I asked you a question about the size of the tank .....so why are you selling her ?
I'll have a look at the conditioner I'n only using valvemaster at the moment but getting octane booster of avgas is no problems for me either
last time I was up on the coast there was a Shell servo that sold 100 octane fuel thats what I will be filling up with when I'm up there

I might have to look for a larger Imola tank , I know Mike from Classic Motorcycle Fiberglass on the central coast can make me one for AU$660 with or without the stripe. I might just have to call on him and have a few coldies as he is only 50kms away

there is another solution that I was looking at and this might work as well , a fuel bladder that can be carried in a back pack check this out
http://www.liquidcontainment.com/fuel_bladders.php
darren nix
Diana

km

Post by darren nix »

anytime
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

With my SS I can usually get at least 250 km from a tank of fuel running at 110-120 km/hr.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Rick F
Mach 3

range

Post by Rick F »

it is nice to know the little 750 GT has some advantages over its bigger brothers

320 or so kms per tank, using premium & valvemaster, thats with 36mm carbs & sport valves and pistons

I hear what you are saying about getting off after a couple of hundred k's

sucks getting older

remember doing sydney to gold coast in one day, much younger, roads were worse then, 2 or 3 stops for juice, maybe a beer for lunch, then get on it all night and ride back the next day!!

anyone know where the nearest toilet is :oops:

Rick
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

fuel bag

Post by Lumpy »

You would`nt need a toilet with one of those fuel bags, just hook a cathater (sp?) into the bag and wee stops are a thing of the past!!! Between the clip-ons and my bladder they see that there is plenty of time to marvel at the country side. Those fuel bags have been used in marine applications for many years, but carrying fuel on your back............I don`t know. Maybe I`m a woos but I`m not even that keen on glass tanks, let alone a bladder of the stuff strapped to my back. My SS does around 220kms on premium with valvesaver on a country ride at speed limit velocity.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”