F1 steering damper?

If you need technical information or help with your pantah based twin Ducati F1, F3, TT1, TT2, Santamontica, Montjuich, Laguna Seca, Al'azzurra, Pantah XL/TL etc engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
weldingshop
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

F1 steering damper?

Post by weldingshop »

My steering damper seems to have quit. real sloppy. Has anyone ever rebuilt one? or i'm I buying one?
Gomi

Post by Gomi »

my advice is to get rid (or keep on the shelves) the original one and buy an Ohlins or something like that.
Original steering dampers on F1 had a bad track record as long as the legend is that they litteraly block. Never had such an issue, but we never know what the real truth is...
carl750f1
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

750 F1 steering damper

Post by carl750f1 »

Hi
I have one removed from my 1986 750F1, I removed it in 90 or 91 and it
was working fine. If you realy need it I my be able to do something for you
( I have to find in my garage !! )

Carl
748girl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 748girl »

Hi this is my first post to this forum, apart from introducing myself. As I said in my introduction there will be silly questions, so here goes.

My steering damper has quit, quite literally, in fact it is absent along with the fork clamp :shock: - I think I would like to have one. So, recommendations would be helpful, I was hoping to do an original restoration, but finding one when I don't know what I am looking for is rather difficult. Was it a Bitubo. But where to find one??

If I cannot find an original - what alternatives are there and just saying Ohlins is not going to help me, because I don't know which Ohlins I should have. ie length. I believe the clamp that goes around the forks should be 40mm? is that correct?? I am muddled so....

If anyone can help or suggest something that would be wonderful!

:-D
ducatibruce
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ducatibruce »

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I got an original for my 85 from Gowanlochs a year or so ago - so they'd be worth a try.
1981 900 MHR, 1985 750F1, 1989 851 (all from new)
1973 Alfa GTV 2000 (since 1977)
Apparently I had a 4 year Italian itch for a while.
748girl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 748girl »

ducatibruce wrote:Hi & welcome to the forum.

I got an original for my 85 from Gowanlochs a year or so ago - so they'd be worth a try.
Hi ducatibruce, thanks so much for your suggestion. I have rung them, the man I spoke to unfortunately was far from helpful and in short said he didn't have one, which was a shame because we have lots of things from Gowanlochs over the years. I was hoping that they would have been able to help me with the restoration of the F1. Maybe I will get my husband to ring them, he might get a different reaction to the question "do you have a steering damper for a 1987 F1?"

Thanks again
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Dealing with Gowanlochs in Belmore may be hit or miss. Try instead to deal with the man himself as he is more than helpful. And he he has A LOT of F1 parts as well as those old and funny bevel thingies. He can be found via ebay as Italspares. Well worth a try!
Are you talkin' to me?
748girl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 748girl »

DesmoKid wrote:Dealing with Gowanlochs in Belmore may be hit or miss. Try instead to deal with the man himself as he is more than helpful. And he he has A LOT of F1 parts as well as those old and funny bevel thingies. He can be found via ebay as Italspares. Well worth a try!
Thanks Desmokid, in the past Ian has been wonderful. So I sent a message through ebay to Italspares on 8 January - no reply as yet :( Maybe he is on holidays?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I have dampers that will do the job - they are black and adjustable http://shop.bevelheaven.com search for darmah dampers to see them in the chassis section
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
748girl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 748girl »

@ Steve, thank you - will bear it in mind. The F1 is still awaiting its turn, it is patient and so am I. Thanks again.

Return to “'Straight Head' Pantah Engines [rear exhaust faces forward] > F1, F3, Pantah, TL, XL, TT1, TT2, Al'Azzurra”