Twin plug mod for 750GT

If you need technical information or help with your roundcase Ducati 750 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Peter Tourin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Twin plug mod for 750GT

Post by Peter Tourin »

I'm rebuilding a 750GT that I picked up in December. It's got a 2nd plug in each head, on the opposite side from the original plug. The man who sold me the bike wasn't the one who had the 2nd plug installed, and couldn't tell me anything about it. Can anyone tell me anything about twin plug conversions, just to satisfy my curiosity?

Thanks - Peter Tourin
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'74 750GT
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

twins

Post by BevHevSteve »

this is an old racer trick some folks did in the 70s - more spark, faster combustion. Won;t really gain you anything for normal riding but it does look pretty cool
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Tourin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Peter Tourin »

That's more or less the way I see it -- I can't imagine that it'll do anything that I'll notice -- as long as it doesn't make things WORSE <bg>....
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'74 750GT
TONYDUCATI

Twin Plug Heads

Post by TONYDUCATI »

As Steve says, faster combustion, so you can retard your ignition somewhat. I've taken them back about 8 degrees.

TONY.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Gives new meaning to the old saying "I need it like I need another hole in my head" :lol:
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

why then did ducati race bikes have twin plug heads
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Wasn't it to try to gain a complete fuel burn and like Steve said faster combustion, add to that larger carbs and flowed head ,,,,,,presto more power
Somer Hooker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Somer Hooker »

Dual plugs were used on singles back when. On a hemi head they are great as the piston crown on a bike tends to obscure the flame front,masking the fuel.
This became real big in the late 70's on BMWs when octane was reduced.You can retard them significantly and hence run a lower grade of fuel.
desmo127
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by desmo127 »

Syd Tunstall did a lot of singles back in the 70's. I don't know if he did trwins but I don't see any reason why not. He had a lot of special tooling for both and did a lot of engine development in those days.
Anything Worth Overdoing Is Worth Overdoing

Return to “Roundcase Engines > 750 GT, 750 Sport & 750 Super Sport”