Darmah tyres

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
idb
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah tyres

Post by idb »

I have always used Metzelers on my Darmah and found them excellent.
However I need to replace both tyres at once now and am thinking about changing to Avons - no particular reason except that the Avon site lists tyres for the bike, Mick Walker says in his book that Metzelers aren't recommended on this bike and I'd just like to try something different.

Anyone got any thoughts on suitable tyres? Not necessarily Avons but any recommendations or warnings would be appreciated.
Cheers
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

avons

Post by BevHevSteve »

AVONS babee

have em on all my bikes - street bikes and race bikes. modern and vintage.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

German (no speedlimits!) motorcycle magazine "Motorrad" has recently tested 5 pair of so called "Youngtimer tyres";

1st place: Bridgestone Battlax BT 45 F+ R, 3.25H19 front, 4.00H18 rear, made in Japan,

2st place: Continental Conti TKV 11+ 12, 100/90H19 front, 110/90H18 rear, made in Germany,

3th place: Dunlop Arrowmax GT 501 J, 100/90H19 front, 110H18 rear, made in France,

4th place: Avon Roadrunner AM 20+21, 3.25H19 front, 4.00H18 rear, made in England,

5th place: Pirelli Sport Demon, 100/90H19 front, 110/90H18 rear, Brasilian made.
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Currently I have Metzeler Comp K tyres on my MHR Mille Special, but they are old, so next season I'm going to move to Continental, the nr 2 from the test above, I don't want japanese tyres on my Duc, that's why I won't go for the nr.1!
Too bad the Pirelli's ended last, I sure would love Italian tyres on my bike!!
Nico Georgeoglou
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

DARMAH TYRES

Post by Nico Georgeoglou »

Gentlemen,
How come and none of you mentioned Michelin Macadam 50 tyres? I have them not only on my bevels, among them a Darmah SS, but also on my 1982 BMW R100RS, which was transformed to a stable bike, when I changed from Metzelers to Michelins. Also the tail happy Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans I used to have, had been tamed considerably with the help of these tyres.
Greece is an extremely slippery place to ride (ask any German rider who has visited our country), so Michelins have proved themselves great to this respect, much more than any other tyres I have tried. They exist in all the dimensions we are interested in.
Having said that, I have to add that rear shocks recommended are Koni dial-a-ride which are 33 cm long (eye center to eye center) and are now manufactured by Ikon. Probably most of you use them already.
Happy riding
Nico
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Nico,
My Mille came factory equiped with Michelins.
The roadholding was so tricky and unpredictable, it scared the hell out of me, every time I drove the bike.
I contacted the Dutch Michelin importer, and they came with all sorts of solutions, but nothing worked, it became even worse!
I switched to Metzeler, and it was much better, altough not perfect, but that's because of the bad construction of the last bevel twin frames!
Anyway,I will NEVER buy any Michelin product again the rest of my life!!
Nico Georgeoglou
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

DARMAH TYRES

Post by Nico Georgeoglou »

Hello Peter,
First of all I did not condemn any of the earlier tyre brands mentioned, some of which I have tried and some of which not. I just wondered how come and nobody mentioned Michelin, for good or for bad.
Second, it is totally unfair to condemn one of the most avant garde tyre companies around the globe only because 20 years ago, one of its tyres didn't seem to fit your bike, or most probably as you also admit the Mille's frame didn't fit not only Michelin, but any tyre. What was the tyre? Michelin A48 or some other type? Anyway it doesn't matter now.
However I wouldn't go into the trouble to continue this correspondence if it wasn't for the severe way you judge Michelin.
Michelin is winning GPs for ages now, in F1, WSB, moto-GP and in any form of racing you can imagine. They have an R&D dept in their Spanish factory which a few other tyre companies have.
Finally I can assure you that I use Michelin radials on my 916 as well and I'm satisfied (factory equipped Pirellis were also very good), even my American car came factory equipped with Michelin Pilot tyres for which I also have no complaint.
I wasnt' satisfied with factory equipped Metzelers on my BMW R100RS back in 1982, but it would be ridiculous to support that I will NEVER use Metzelers any other time for the rest of my life. These generalisations and fanatism for or against a particular product don't lead anywhere and usually betray low understanding of the matter.
Best regards
Nico
Said
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah tyres

Post by Said »

Regarding

> 1st place: Bridgestone Battlax BT 45 F+ R, 3.25H19 front, 4.00H18 rear, made in Japan,

Even better: They are also available in 120/90 and 100/90. After using Pirelli's and Metzeler's (ME33, ME11) on my 860GTS for decades I am using them now and they seem to be FAR better than all those "old" technology tyres.

(I can't really judge it now because after years with my Duc only standing in the Garage first I have to learn driving again but I was told the same -- that these "modern tech. tyres" are simple superior compared to all those old tyres -- from a guy with 5 bevel Duc's he's riding in Winter&Sommer, at Day&Night - in short: by a fanatic :-)

Said

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”