pantah carb set up problem

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
budgie955
Mariana

pantah carb set up problem

Post by budgie955 »

my mates pantah will not tickover properly . You have to have the air screws almost fully out (weak?) and then it will tick over ..but hangs onto the revs for a few seconds when you blip the throttle. then settles down to tickover
We cleaned the carbs out + the pumpers are working fine...any ideas on this one guys?

Dave Burn
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: pantah carb set up problem

Post by Craig in France »

budgie955 wrote:my mates pantah will not tickover properly . You have to have the air screws almost fully out (weak?) and then it will tick over ..but hangs onto the revs for a few seconds when you blip the throttle. then settles down to tickover
We cleaned the carbs out + the pumpers are working fine...any ideas on this one guys?
Dave Burn
Hi Dave,

Could be a sticky (and/or worn) slide and/or cable.

Btw:

Assuming you're using PHF carbs, having the adjuster screw OUT increases the AMOUNT of fuel/air mixture - i.e. contrary to expectations, it does NOT change the air-fuel ratio. Instead, the mixture strength is determined by a combination of a) the idle jet size; and b) - and most critically in my experience - by the 'unblockedness' (is there such a word?) of the air drilling that leads from the air intake side of the carb to the delivery hole in the base of the carb body, downstream of the slide. This is described as the 'calibrated passage' and identified by the number 1 in figure 18 of the Dell'Orto manual here:
http://www.renewaters.ca/ducati/dellort ... o_3_4.html

HTH

Craig
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I'll second Craig's advice. I've often found that simply lubing the cable(s) or straightening out the runs will cure the hanging idle problem. You should be able to hear the thottle slides banging smartly onto the throttle stop screws, and they should be doing it simultaneously.

Bruce Martin
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”