Removing tank badges and gas cap

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Removing tank badges and gas cap

Post by baddean »

Hello all,
New to the forum. Long time lurker.
As the subject says I would like info on removing the tank badges and gas cap on a 750 GT, obviously, without damaging them.
Haven't found this info anywhere yet.
Thanks in advance,
Dean
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

gas cap
open cap, get a plastic spatula or something that wont scratch, like a screw driver made of plastic, find the spring loaded thing siting on the tank that is attached to the cap? Lift it, then lift off the cap. Suggest you get some thick tape to put on tank immediately in front of cap hinge

badges
very carefully pry them out SLOWLY. There are 2 pins, 1 on each end stickig into something that clips in the tank. be SLOW and CAREFUL
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go.
Dean
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

as I will be venturing down this path in the coming weeks, to get the cap I'll do as Steve said above, when it comes time to re-fit the cap is there anything special to look out for ?
Is it advisable to get the cap re-chromed or just buy a new one ---if you can still get them that is
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi Martin,
You can still get good reproduction caps. The caps that Steve here has are the small opening caps (50mm). The cap on my 750GT is a 71mm (measured by the rubber seal in the cap or the opening of the tank) so make sure of the one you need.
The cap is easily reinstalled on the tank. Just slide it on the way the old one came off and gently snap it in place. Make sure you wrap a towel or rag aroung the opening so as not to damage your paint.
Hope this helps,
Dean
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

fyi the caps are interchangable. The smaller seal type seals at the bottom of the cup thing, the larger seal type seals on the top flange, they both mount the same, they both will work on all bevel drives AFAIK
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Steve,
Thanks, that's good to know.
Dean

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”