Reg/Rec help

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
HughM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Reg/Rec help

Post by HughM »

Posted this last night in the wrong section:

Hi everyone - new to the forum.

Can anyone tell me how to wire up an Electrex RR51 reg/rec to my 1980 900SS?

I've got the easy bit - yellows to alternator, red/green to battery, but with the white connected to the charge light, via the brown lead (originally from the old reg/rec), I get zilch - no nothing anywhere (spark, lights, etc).

Any clues? I am useless at electrics, so be gentle with me! I've checked all connections to the best of my ability, and they seem OK (the bike was running last week).

Hopefully the electrics elf will answer my call!!! (Guess who's been reading Harry Potter)

Hugh, Cardiff, Wales, UK
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi Hugh,
I assume you are using the diagram here,
http://www.electrosport.com/Images/fitting.esr510.a.pdf for installation purposes.
It sounds as if you have no power beyond the fuse box.
Check the F1 fuse in the fuse box (assuming you have the original box).
It is the fuse that has red wire on one side and 2 red wires on the other.
( Or at lease a red on each side) Make sure it isn't blown.. Make sure you have power from the battery to that fuse.
Make sure you have power from that fuse to the key switch.
Check to see that the green wire from the RR51 is properly attached to the battery negative and that the ground wire from the battery is properly attached at both ends. (battery and frame).
Let us know what you find.
Dean
HughM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by HughM »

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your reply. The fuse appears to be OK - perhaps I should try another just in case.

I am assuming that the connection to the key switch is OK as the bike was running OK until last week when the battery died due to no charging.

For me, testing is a big problem as I don't really know what I'm doing! Mechanical problems I can usually sort out, but electrics .......!

Hugh
HughM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by HughM »

OK. Me again.

I have voltage between +ve terminal of battery and fuse (both ends) with key switch ON (as in ready to start the bike) but how do I check from the fuse to the key switch? As I mentioned, it was OK last week.
There is nothing on the wiring diagram to indicate that I need to earth the battery directly to the frame - I've tried this just now and there is no difference.

Hugh
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Hugh,
Back again tonight.
Some dumb questions and some not so dumb.
Did you fully charge the battery? I mean fully charge it so you know that you are getting 12.6-13 volts from the battery?
What did you do with the other brown wire?
There should be two brown wires coming from your old regulator. One went to the charge light or volt meter (depending on what you have on your bike) The other went to the fuse block terminals F2 and jumped to F3.
Is the body of the Electrex regulator grounded. I know the green wire goes to the negative on the battery, but almost all of the regulators I'm most familiar with require the bodies be grounded as did your original regulator. (Just a thought)
I'm running out of questions here. I'm looking at a schematic of your bike and I am running out of places to look. If I had you bike here I could take a volt meter and work my way backwards from where you have power to where you don't.
Can you e-mail me a couple of pictures of your installation. That might help me visualize the wiring set up.
[email protected]
I'm curious now. You seem to have followed the directions quite well,. I'm sure this is something very simple. A missing ground, a wire knocked loose during installation??
Let us know.
Dean
HughM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by HughM »

You're really into this, now aren't you!!!
I have this nagging suspicion that there is a loose connection elsewhere. Everybody else I've been in contact with seems to think that what I have done so far is OK (including earthing the battery).
The other wire out of the old regulator is red, and I have just taped the end up to prevent accidental grounding.
I'm going to labour my way through testing the relevant circuits and see how I get on.
My biggest fear (apart from losing the end of a short summer) is that I will not do the tests correctly and still find nothing!

Many thanks for your time - I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Hugh
HughM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by HughM »

Well, first of all a big thanks to anybody that has helped me, here or on other forums....you know who you are!

Finally got to the bottom of this. John Fallon, of Mdina Italia fame has just told me that the RR51 is NO GOOD for bevel 900SS's. You have to use an original part. So thanks to Electrex for not telling us!

I have to say that John has been an endless source of excellent information ever since I bought my bevel back some 8 years ago. I cannot recommend his service highly enough, and he has a colossal store of parts, new and used.

Thanks John.

Hugh

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”