Cylinder Head Gasket

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
jonduc74
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Cylinder Head Gasket

Post by jonduc74 »

Hi I just removed my front head to fix the exhaust flange thread, and I have loosened the barrel slightly on the cylinder gasket, the gasket has not broken, although some oil did run out the bottom.
My question is can I just leave the gasket and tighten the head down again, or is it beast to try and clean the oil off the gasket first, or should I replace the gasket with a new one now it has been disturbed. I do not want to have oil leeks after putting it all back together?
Thanks
Jonduc74
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i'd replace the gasket. You don;t want to get her back togehter and find a leak................
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
jonduc74
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Gasket Replacement

Post by jonduc74 »

Hi I will order some new gaskets soon, some questions, to remove the barrel do I need to remove the carbon from the piston crown and is it best to remove the piston and rings from the barrel or try not to disturb the rings and remove the gudeon pin keeping the piston just inside the barrel. Also do these types of gasket need some sort of sealant like silicon?
Many thanks
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Jonduc, I've done the same thing with my 900 if there is little or no tearing of the gasket surface a thin smear of a non-hardening gasket sealer will likely keep leakage at bay. I'd try this first as the horizontal cylinder is pretty easy to do if it doesen't seal.
jonduc74
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re Cylinder Head Gasket

Post by jonduc74 »

Hi Thanks for your input, and I can now see your point if the gasket is not broken.
I have been told that a new gasket would be best and there would be no need for sealant with the new gasket, also been told there would be no need to remove the carbon on the piston crown when replacing the gasket..

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”