Mille clutch master cilinder

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Mille clutch master cilinder

Post by Peter Mille »

Does anyone know the original size ( diameter) of the Brembo clutch master cilinder of a Mille?
Is the 13mm clutch master cilinder, offered on this site by Steve, a good alternatif.
Right now I´m using a cilinder of a Laverda, with a larger diameter if I´m not mistaken, and I don´t like the `feel`of it.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Master cylinder sizes

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Peter,

I can't say for the Mille, but on my SSD I use a 12mm unit from a Pantah. I changed it because I didn't like the original 15mm at all - very wooden, and I like to be able to feel the brakes coming on.

So Steve's 13mm unit may suit you.

Curiously, my Laverda Corsa has a 15mm master and is fine. Yet the only difference between the bikes is the floating discs on the Corsa; but I don't think that's the reason. I think it has more to do with the way the weight is distributed, and rider position. For example, I'm aware that I use mainly front brakes on the SSD, but the Corsa definiltey needs a little back brake as well - just to settle it.

HTH

Craig in UK/France
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Craig, I'm talking about the CLUTCH master cilinder, not the brakes....!! ;)
Anyway, I gave it a closer inspection this afternoon, and I see two different sets of numbers on the Laverda 1000SFC clutch mastercilinder, it's either a 15mm or a 17mm one, I'm not sure.
So will a 13mm fit?
I also found that Brembo has a 14mm clutch mastercilinder for sale, maybe that's a better option?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

clutch

Post by BevHevSteve »

Peter, DUCATI has standardized using a 13mm clutch since just after the F1. Some of the F1 have a 15mm clutch MC but most are 13.

You can;t lose with a new 13 and I have em in stock for you.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Now, was that Clutch or Brake? Ah, CLUTCH -- Oh, woops!

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Peter

Duh, do I feel stupid! :oops:

(Yeh, the Laverda one is 15mm ...)

Ciao

Craig
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Craig, don't feel stupid, it IS all very confusing, Brembo making all those different sizes, for different models (and modelyears...!!!), than they discontinue a curtain size, and all of the sudden you're alone in mastercilinderland....!!
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

It is my understanding that the older round reservoir master cylinders (clutch & brake) that Brembo refers to as 15mm, will actually measure 15.875mm (that's 5/8in.). The newer rectangular m/c measure metric (12, 13, 15, 16mm)
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Well, before buying a new one, I tried the clutch master cilinder of a new style 900SS ( Pantah based) Ducati of a friend, yesterday.
And gues what, it doesn't work on a Mille, we tried everything, but the combination of the smaller 13mm diameter and the other clutch cilinder in the engine is not right.
So I went back to the 15mm Laverda one that was on my bike, and now everything is fine again ( I found out that 16mm is the original diameter for the Mille)
So a little smaller, like the 15mm will work, but 13mm is just too small!
(btw, the 13mm is working fine again on my friends bike, we thought it might have gone bad on my Mille when trying to get the air out, but that wasn't so)
The only thing.., now I have a new style brake mastercilinder, and an old style clutch mastercilinder on my Mille.......!

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”