860GT Hard to find Neutral with motor running

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tinkerbell
Mariana

860GT Hard to find Neutral with motor running

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi All,
I am finding it hard to come up out of 1st gear and into neutral when fully stopped. I have to pull up really hard and then pop all the way into 2nd. A couple of times at a stoplight , I have had to just hold the clutch in because I could not get neutral. As soon as I shut the engine off , its easy to snick into neutral from 1st. Logic would indicate clutch is dragging-- clutch action is nice and easy and when the bike is on centerstand, the rear wheel does rotate slowly at idle --but is easy to stop with one's hand. Gearbox otherwise upshifts and downshifts like butter .
Any thoughts? Sounds like its time to take clutch apart--inspect and clean?
Sincerely,
Kara
Tinkerbell
Mariana

Re: 860GT Hard to find Neutral with motor running

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hi all.
It turns out that the problem with the gearbox was a mirror problem...I had installed a nice C R G mirror on the left side and the pivot swivel on the mirror was preventing full travel of the clutch handle. It's like thinking you are unlucky because you keep finding bird poop on your shoulder...only to find that a sparrow has taken up residence in your hair...
Phoenix76RB
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 860GT Hard to find Neutral with motor running

Post by Phoenix76RB »

Glad you got it figured out!

Tim

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”