So close, 81 MHR

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

So close, 81 MHR

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi folks: I'm way behind but got busy over the last couple of days. The bike needs brake fluid and gas. The fairing painting will continue tomorrow; I'm pretty sure that I can't collectors' plates and associated insurance rates without the fairing on it so it may still be a week or more before I get the bike on the road. What's a few weeks after 29 years?

Here's a pic from a few minutes ago. Now I have to make space in my tiny garage again.

ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: So close, 81 MHR

Post by ducadini »

NIce bike :-D :-D
Now get it on the road ;)

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

The bike fired-up on the fifth kick on Saturday (April 20th) afternoon after 29 years of dormancy. It was rough and I'd run out of time; had other things to do. This morning, I swapped the carb slides to expose un-dented, virgin slopes for the throttle adjuster screws to make contact with, set the stops so they were only just touching the slides and with the mixtures screws at 1 3/4 turns out, the bike fired over on the first kick; of course, I had to hold the throttle open to keep it running; just wanted to ensure it would start. Tomorrow the weather will be better so I will try to set the carbs up to a smooth idle. Still got the brake bleeding to complete. I may even ride around the block.

Getting closer.....
[https://i.imgur.com/YXaAAGL.jpg][/img]
Gardner
Diana

Post by Gardner »

Looks like it's going to be a great summer! :-D
1978 SD Darmah
1979 SSD Darmah
1981 900SS
2017 Desert Sled
1982 Bimota HB2
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

What a lovely piece of work!! Well done.
Speedrocker
Mariana

Post by Speedrocker »

Looks like new!..Congrats, very fine MHR !
Greets,
Joe
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Patience will pay off in spades now. So glad you are finally able to get it out into the sunshine and enjoy it.

:vroom: :rad: :Uwin:
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Registered, insured and on the road; only 2.5 months late but after 29 years, well worth the wait. Yesterday was my first real ride, about 30km to blow the cobwebs out. I brought it home after about 10km to plug into my SynchPro vac guages and tweak the carbs; settled down to between 1000 and 1100 rpm tickover; I got nervous below this as it sounds like it's going to stall. I'll probably try again this weekend after a longer run. The engine is very smooth; pick-up is strong and consistent and the handling is firm. I have new Ohlins shocks at the rear, set at the longest notch; only me on the saddle for now and it feels fine but I need more time to assess properly.

My plan is run her naked for a few weeks just in case I need to do any tweaking. The freshly painted fairing is waiting in a spare bedroom. In the interim, not the cheap LED front blinkies courtesy of Amazon.

Some pics after my run:
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

I reckon I can see every minute of your 29 years labour in there. Thats immaculate!!
Regarding your idle, I always used to aim to get the tick over as low as I could. There`s something beautiful about slow tick overs on big twins....................until it stalled a few times sitting at lights in traffic. Mine only have centre stands so it was get off, pull it up on the stand, kick it over. Entertaining for the waiting cars I guess.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Hi Lumpy: the restoration was an extremely light and brief one as the bike was put away clean all those years ago; I only really started the work at the end of November last year and took my time. Prior to this, I'd bring it out of where ever it was stored and wash it once a year, even if it didn't really need it and re-goop the ally bits with a light oil to stop them oxidizing. Just too many things got in the way but now it's happy again.

Perhaps a testament to my new Sacshe system; a few days ago I stalled the bike immediately after starting, my fault; not enough warm-up before putting it into gear. I very easily kicked it back into action sitting on it.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

I`m building a bit of a cafe racer special based on my old 860. So far I`m only at the parts collection phase which has been going on for some years now. I`ve set myself a goal that I have to finish an old 1952 Panther that I`ve had for some time. It`s been a very difficult Reso. Parts for her were very difficult to find. I`ve had to make, modify and badger people all over the globe for what I need. I`m just about done, only some spray painting and a few bits and bobs and she's finished and I can start on the Duc. In my glory box I have a Sasche ignition for her among some other tasty bits. The box reminds me of the case on the movie Pulp fiction where they open the case and light beams out!! But, the point I was getting to is that never in my bevel history have I been able to kick any of mine into life while onboard. Have always had to put them on the centre stand and leap on them from the side. Maybe the Sasche system is really that good..............I hope so. Getting pretty excited to try it out.

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”