350 Mark 3: Original colour scheme?

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Echze
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

350 Mark 3: Original colour scheme?

Post by Echze »

Hi experts and enthusiasts, this is my first post. I'm considering to buy a 1970 Mark 3, which is said to be in original condition:

http://www.medion-fotoalbum.de/mediapoo ... 897EF1.jpg
http://www.medion-fotoalbum.de/mediapoo ... 897EF1.jpg

To my opinion, the colour scheme of the fuel tank is not original: only the knee area and a smaller part of the space above and below of the Ducati emblem normally is chrome.

The speedo is in the headlamp (=ok), a rev meter is missing (= not ok, must be at the right side of the head lamp mounting - right?).

The tail lamp is round (= ok), the end of the muffler aslope (= ok).

Nevertheless the bike looks nice and well maintained. Km-age is 32.000. Exaust is new. A local Ducati dealer sells it in order of a private collector. Price is about 3.500 Euro. If outcome of the test drive on coming Saturday is positive, should I go for it?

Thanks for your opinions and recommandations.
Kind regards
Peter
Echze
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Echze »

Hi all, yesterday I faced the bike. The result: It is not as nice as it looks on the pictures. The mugards have are originally chrome plated. The paint disguised some badly repaired deep rost holes. The painwork itself was well done, but on a not well prepaired suface. Tires were "wooden", chaindrive was worn out, the front fork sipped and so on. In a nutshell: Too expensive - I have to search on...
Kind regards
Peter
darnold
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by darnold »

Not sure what kind of bike you are looking for but the mk3 in your pictures may be worth another look. Finding any unrestored Ducati single with clip ons is not easy. Finding a complete bike is worth a lot of time, effort, and money searching for hard to find parts. You may want to look past some the cosmetic flaws.

Here is a similar bike I restored.

-dan

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”