1978 darmah barn find rims dont match

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
acceler
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1978 darmah barn find rims dont match

Post by acceler »

ok got a 78 darmah with only 5000 miles on it but it seams to me the rims dont match and the rear is in rough shape. the rear is a speedline 2.5x18
but the front im not to sure? maybe Campagnolo 2.15x18.; im about to get them powder coated and want to make sure before i spend a bunch of money. tried to upload picture but even at my lowest setting it still 2.5 mp.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 1978 darmah barn find rims dont match

Post by Craig in France »

acceler wrote:<snip> ...the rear is a Speedline 2.5x18, but the front I'm not too sure. Maybe Campagnolo 2.15x18. I'm about to get them powder coated and want to make sure before I spend a bunch of money.
Both Campagnolas and Speedlines should be treated with a considerable degree of caution. Plenty of info on this Forum and elsewhere, but basically:

1. The Campagnolas were essentially lightweight racing wheels. They were not well adapted for road use - or for a long life.
2. The Speedlines suffered from a casting fault at a certain period of their manufacture. This led to some horrific failures. As a consequence, all of them were put on recall.

At the very least, you should get your wheels crack tested before doing anything else.
acceler
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 1978 darmah barn find rims dont match

Post by acceler »

OK, so it appears i have a FPS front rim. so If anyone has a FPS rear rim for sale msg me. or if anyone needs this speedline to start a fire with or boat anchor, maybe hang on their wall msg me. i was told NOT to run the speedline at all so its gotta go.

thanks guys
ive had a few ricers, and a few buells but this classic duc restore is all new to me.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”