750GT Rolling Basket Challange

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
geodoc
750 GT

Re: 750GT Rolling Basket Challange

Post by geodoc »

wdietz186 wrote:You are probably leaking at the countershaft sprocket/spacer interface. Before you go digging out the seals try undoing the sprocket, pull the spacer and apply 3Bond [Hondabond, Yamabond etc.] to both edges of the spacer and the outer edge of the sprocket and tighten the crap out of the nut. What happens is oil creeps through the splines on the output gear as they are cut behind where the bearing sits and it comes out around the spacer/sprocket interface. If oil is leaking at the output gear/mainshaft area you can tap in another seal without having to pick out the old one and that usually stops the leak there.
Re: the sprocket spacer, are you talking about item #25 below?

And re: "leaking from the output gear / mainshaft area" There is room behind seal item #28 to tap in another seal in on top of it?

George

Last edited by geodoc on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Pry out item 30 snap ring clip thing and add 1-3 add'l item 29 seals..
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

I
Last edited by geodoc on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Yes the spacer is #24
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Bad day at black rock. Tweaking the idle last night after installing the #60 pilot jets and it went OK. Then shut it off to answer the phone. Started again to give it a final touch & the idle speed was down from before ....... odd. It had very little fuel in it so put on reserve, but didn't seem to make a difference. Oh well, I'll top it off in the morning.

Rolled it out today and nothing,, no start, no nothing like no spark. Plenty of fuel squirt, but checked and no spark. Damn.

Troubleshoot and discover that the Dyna-S unit has packed it in. 2500 km from new. So it's packed up to send tomorrow back to Dyna.

Good thing the Loop Frame Guzzi is running good as my back-up 'A'. or the Triumph Sprint RS as backup 'B'.

My theory is that being in the same garage as that other GT with all the electrical problems somehow by electrical osmosis caused it. At least it didn't choose to crap out on my trip last week on the middle of the road between Cowichan Lake and Port Renfrew. That would have been a laugh a minute.
Last edited by geodoc on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
firstbuell
Mariana

Post by firstbuell »

hey geodoc,

tho' some may find it EZ to laugh at your 'gremlins' suspicion, I concur

on more than one occasion, I've replaced a bulb or other minor component in a circuit, only to have another system part fail VERY quickly -
I then chase that BS around for awhile until it's somehow 'flushed', and all is quiet.....

I don't pretend to understand, but I've definitely experienced it over the years
Curt
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

firstbuell wrote:hey geodoc,

tho' some may find it EZ to laugh at your 'gremlins' suspicion, I concur

on more than one occasion, I've replaced a bulb or other minor component in a circuit, only to have another system part fail VERY quickly -
I then chase that BS around for awhile until it's somehow 'flushed', and all is quiet.....

I don't pretend to understand, but I've definitely experienced it over the years
Well, to quote Hunter S. Thomson:

“All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So while the 750 GT is waiting for a replacement Dyna-S, what else is going on in the shop? Well, it's this. Garage mate Tom Mellor's latest Mk. XVII, B(2) salt flat weapon. 1000cc 1969 Triumph T150 engined (fairing not installed).

Last year he broke the PSAG 750 recort at 201 MPH. Ths year with the 1000cc engine he's gearing for 215 to start. Tires are becoming the limiting factor. It's fan-cooled with the fan off an RC jet that absorbs 70 amps! It can seriously move some air.

Removing the floor section reveals the R&D Dept. otherwise known as 'The Pit'. The salt bike was lifted out of there where it was built to soon be loaded on the trailer and then off to Bonneville & glory!

Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I get it takes enormous power to generate speed like that,especially on the salt.Is it geared to the moon and needs a big push off as well.Enjoying your posts here,there is a bloke on the Laverda list who builds high end classic cars,Napier's etc for a living.For fun he is doing a couple of Laverda twins.Its fantastic when blokes like him and you post up.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Vince wrote:I get it takes enormous power to generate speed like that,especially on the salt.Is it geared to the moon and needs a big push off as well.Enjoying your posts here,there is a bloke on the Laverda list who builds high end classic cars,Napier's etc for a living.For fun he is doing a couple of Laverda twins.Its fantastic when blokes like him and you post up.
Heh Vince,

The 1000cc engine was producing about 100 HP on the brake dyno here. Bonneville at about 4000 ft. MSL gets density altitudes up to 7000 ft. or even more. Tom constructed a ram air duct with airbox that managed to recover about an inch of manifold pressure @ ~200 MPH, so he's doing better than most naturally aspirated bikes down there. Still, the key to more speed is better aerodynamics with no more HP available and since drag increases as the square of speed, that's where he's concentrated his effort. This has involved making a new lower frame for reduced frontal area and many other changes all with the goal of reducing drag. Here's hoping that all goes well, the salt doesn't flood, it doesn't blow up, or who knows what else for things that can go wrong.

I'll post some pictures of it with the fairing on later.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Some with the fairing:

The rear lower fairing is not installed. It has to stay off for rear frame support & transport tie-downs.

Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Things are getting a bit cramped in 'Tom's Temple of Torque'. The red GT on the left came in for getting running and then a list of electrical problems.

Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

A few more salt bike detail shots:

Hereis the air intake duct leading to the air box. There is a filter in the airbox made from a furnace filter element. The air box also has a flapper door that opens before ram air takes effect and closes & seals the box when ram air raises the pressure in the airbox above atmospheric pressure.

Engine shrouding. To reduce drag there is no cooling air intake inlet on the fairing - the engine cooling air is drawn from around the inside of the fairing and forced through the cooling fins with the little 70A RC jet propulsion fan. The little grey item is a homebuilt aircraft airspeed switch connected to a warning light that shows when the fan is producing engine cooling air flow. The engine shroud, fenders, intake duct, etc, are made from steel - no need to worry about weight on one of these rigs!

Not much happening on the panel - tach, EGT graphic display, fan flow control knob & warning light & in the streering stem where it's not visable in the picture, the oil pressure warning light.

Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Still waiting for the warranty replacement Dyna-S to show up. I did get the .85 kg/mm fork springs to replace the .90 ones that should make the ride a bit better. (the .90 ones from Racetech will be going on eBay)

Pulled off the drive sprocket to extract the output shaft collar to seal its end and get rid of the oil drool. It looks to have been locktite'd on there, so getting it off meant pulling the outer seal and getting hold of the collar to extract. After pondering in decided to seal the shaft splines by cleaning and then cutting little squares from rubber /cork gasket material that would just fit in the splines under the collar. I coated each one with 3-Bond #4 and while still wet, put the sprocket back on and tightened the nut w/ locktite. We'll see if that does the trick and saves me having to use ugly methods to get the seal and collar off.

The shift selector shaft was also leaking and since there is room, installed a slightly wider double lipped seal (4.5mm v 3mm). Also applied 3-Bond to the seal O.D.

Here is the original seal on the right v. the double lipped seal on the left:

It was a nice afternoon so rode out to Vancouver In'tl. Airport to a hangar where a medivac Lear 36 stays that a friend flies. He invited me & a couple friends down to have a look at a couple airplanes that are in the same hangar:

Yes, that's right - a Spitfire mk. IV with Griffon engine and a DeHavilland Mosquito that just had the restoration completed:

http://www.vicair.net/mosquito.html

Three of us rode down to check them out and gob-smacked ain't in it. This weekend the Mosquito will be at the Abbotsford air show just east of Vancouver doing high-speed fly-bys. The only ting that sounds better than a Merlin at 42" MAP is 2 Merlins!

Ok, Ok, it's CG, but still. (turn it up loud!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bdoWZbvXps
Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

&)$*&^@HJ @@Y(@{( !!!!!!!!

And that's putting it mildly. After a bit more fussing with the ignition timing, I replaced the clutch cover plug,, gave it a reasonable snug-up and POP! ....... the end of the plug parted company with the threaded bit. Having the nice, authentic look it may have with it's cast-in ESSO logo, but not made for durability. I ordered another from Steve and will be adding a little o-ring to it so as to (hopefully) seal the oil in w/o tightening too much.

In the mean time, I needed to find a substitute and did indeed in the form of a mid-90's BMW 3-series oil drain plug (22 X 1.5mm) $8.49 from NAPA.

Meanwhile, there's a cool one on the lift at the shop. Friend Michael (Guzzi Falcone Sport, Moto Morini Camel, Benelli 254, '95 Ducati M900 Monster, Guzzi 1000SP, Honda CBR250, Honda NX650) bought a 1948 Moto Guzzi Astorino at the Mostra Scambio at Imola last summer. It's completely original & un-restored. After cleaning & POR15-ing the tank, cleaning carb & petcocks it fired right up, exposed valves flailing! This thing also featured and iron head and cylinder - a real ditch pump adapted to two wheels.

it's getting new tires & tubes, new wheel bearings, chain & sprockets, adjusting and greasing (something like a dozen zerk fittings!). Off next weekend to the WA Vintage M/C vintage orgy on Vashon Island.

Also - Friend Ian Gill, former boss & someone who writes for a living just wrote a piece for the local rag about riding his Guzzi 750 Breve from Vancouver to Sun Valley ID & return. He just got his bike endorsement and after a few short trips headed off on a big one:

http://thetyee.ca/Culture/2014/08/16/Mo ... -The-Road/
Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Went down to the Vintage Motorcycle Festival at the LeMay Car Museum in Tacoma WA this past Saturday. There was a clutch of Bevels there, among which was the 80's Tunstall racer:

Jack Huisinga of Bainbridge Island, WA put up some photos of the LeMay show and the WA VME Vashon Island TT that took place the next day:

http://huisinga.dyndns.org/home/The_Mee ... index.html

http://huisinga.dyndns.org/home/iovtt_2014/index.html
Last edited by geodoc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”