750GT Rolling Basket Challange

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
geodoc
750 GT

Re: 750GT Rolling Basket Challange

Post by geodoc »

Mounted up the rear brake shoes on the backing plate to turn down for a nice fit into the drum. The linings were a bit thick to make sure there was plenty of meat to remove for the fit. .010" shims were inserted in between the actuator cam and the shoe 'heels' then set up in the lathe. Turned down to where they would just fit inside the drum, removed the shims and presto - about 3/8" of travel on the lever before contact.

The shoes look red since the guy that re-lined them shot them with red primer which I bead blasted off before installing.

Should work great (tip 'o the hat to BH Steve for suppling the late style axle spacers, re-plated in electroless nickel).

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Headlight bucket finally got finished at the paint shop & installed. Turn signals are on (Hella knock-offs). When Domiracer was still in business, you could get the brushed aluminum re-pops for $60/ pr. Now it's chrome ones from Taiwan for $18.00 ea. or original old stock from various BMW places doe $90.00 ea. I went with the low-buck versions. Seem OK quality, but would have preferred the aluminum. Oh well.

The rear fender went off to friend Paul's to get the ripped bit welded up and smoothed out (thrown chain damage). When that's back, the fenders, side covers and tank are off to the painter! Will call up Guy in Montreal and see how the engine's coming.

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Things are moving right along with the engine at MBP. Guy sent some shots of the latest progress. Cases should be buttoned up next week.

Crank trued up to .0005":

Pistons are 750 Sport items:

Rods have hardened sleeves installed:

Crank pin thicker thrust washer modification, drain plug with magnet & larger diameter "stepped" crank pin:

New small end bushings:

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Had a bit of a tangle with the Motogadget M-Unit and M-Button.

I have installed 2 V-1 M-Units in other bikes and in those installations, installed a momentary switch to ground to the 'config' location on the M-Unit to enter and select the set-up modes.

For the V-2 / M-Button the only connections shown in the Motogadget info is to connect the green wire from the M-Button to the M-Unit 'config' location. As you can see in the photo below, I also added a lead to the 'config' location to ground via a momentary push button (just to the right of the M-Unit, to the right of that is a fuse for the alternator output).

With this connection, I am able to enter the set-up mode (RH signal light 'on' steady), but cannot scroll to options by additional pushes of the ground button. I suspect that this method of connection to enter the set-up mode(s) is not what is correct and see that you only have the M-Button green lead connected to the 'config' input on the M-Unit.

(Later)

I pondered a bit and suspected that having the M-Button green lead and the momentary ground connected at the same time to the same place was the problem. I decided to try isolating the M-Button by snipping it's green wire connection to the M-Unit and see if I could then enter the set-up mode. Presto! So ....... I installed a switch to open the M-Button green lead before entering the set-up mode. Here's the new version of the panel - button to the right and at bottom is the momentary ground button to enter the M-Unit set-up mode and scroll through the various set-up functions. Above that is the M-Button isolate switch. A schematic of the arrangement is below too.

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Happy / sad day - my Guzzi "Segarra Endurance Replica" has been sold. The happy part is that the coffers depleted by the 750 GT project will have been mostly replenished. Still, sorry to see the old beast go, a true hooligan machine.

And in that vein, the tank, fenders and side covers were dropped off at the painter's yesterday. I have not used him before, but comes very highly recommended (he's the area rep for BASF Coatings for his day job). I've seen some of his work & happy he took this one on.

So waiting for my order from Damian at Bevel Rubber to arrive and then the instrument panel can be wired up and installed along with various other pieces coming from him.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

get some fiddly-bit stuff done:

The rear brake cable bows when the brake is applied, so I decided to install a cable guide. Trip to the old Suzuki shop and they had a few to choose from in the obsolete parts dept. Had to machine off nearly the entire head from a short 3/8 X 24 bolt to affix it to the back of the hole where the passenger peg attaches and have clearance when the swingarm moves past it on full shock compression.

The nut clips I ordered from a Mercedes dealer arrived. They have a self-locking feature so the side cover screws don't need to be tightened down snug. It really took some looking to find M6 X 1.00 self locking nut clips. W/O self-lock are easy, but needed the locking feature. I can pass along the Mercedes p/n if anyone's interested.

When I fit the fiberglass side covers and match-drilled the screw locations there ended up being a small gap between the inside of the cover and the mount tabs welded on the frame. When the screws were tightened all the way down, it would distort the cover and ruin the close fit from the rubber edging on the cover to the frame tube. Using 'these self-locking nut clips will allow me to tighten the screws just enough to seat against the cover and be 'captured' by self-lock so I don't loose the screws on the road.

May have to remove some of the clip on the outside edge if it keeps the side cover from seating all the way. We'll see when the covers get back from the painter and trim if necessary.

Made a little panel to cover & protect the area behind the electrical panel so if the rear tire pitches a rock up there it won't knock the regulator output fuse holder in half (or other damage) and strand me.

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Took a bit of looking to come up with an AGM battery that would fit in the rubber battery tray. It arrived and it's perfect.

Got it here:

http://www.amazon.com/UPG-UT12C-Adventu ... B001ZTBPXG

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Fitted the front brake line from Speigler. Big PITA bleeding. Used vacuum at the bleeder bolt, raised the caliper up above the master cylinder, beating with a wood block and finally got it 95% there. A trick a friend showed me that almost always works to get the last bit of air out is to tie-wrap the lever down an leave it over night.

It worked!

Last edited by geodoc on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Things arrived from Bevel Rubber. Got the instrument panel wired up & tested. Light switch selects either 20W pilot light or low beam. Have to disassemble again to install bezel rubbers when they arrive and clock the gage faces just right.

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Just got some shots from Guy in Montreal. The bottom end is buttoned up and the top end too.

Had a bit of a problem with the kick starter shaft that I got from Germany. The ones who made it forgot to machine the groove for the kick starter spring retaining circlip. Off to the machine shop to get it cut & back in business.

Also turns out that the new chrome tower tubes I got were for an 860, etc. & a bit too short. Guy happened to have a set of aluminum ones that he installed instead. I like the look.

Guy Martin at the bottom sporting the beard he cultivated in Costa Rica.

Should be all finished next week and into the crate it goes - back to Vancouver!

Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Been pretty quiet for the last couple weeks as far as the GT goes. waiting for the engine to arrive from Montreal (today or tomorrow) and headers, cross-over and points cover plate from Holland.

Just picked up the tank & fenders from Mike the painter last night:

For the side covers, both had a small sag in the strips on one end, so they're getting fixed.

When the engine arrives, there should be a flurry of activity.
Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

The engine has arrived!

Forgot to take pictures of installing the engine in the frame, or more accurately, installing the frame on the engine. Set the engine down on wood blocks on rolling work table, then picked up the frame with the two chain hoists on the ceiling tracks. Lowered down little by little and .......... fits like gloves on a duck:

Now can get down to some final assembly.

As it turns out I may have had to use an alternate source for the exhaust cross-over pipe. Back to Classics in Holland is expecting them soon, but Mdina Italia has one in stock, so even though it's a little more $ I'll go that route since that is the last part I lack.
Last edited by geodoc on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joepagejr
Mariana

Post by joepagejr »

I've bought some sheet metal tools from here for my airframe sheet metal class.
1975 Ducati 860 GT - 850589
2002 Ducati ST4s
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

Heh Joe,

You're in the aircraft maintenance biz in Atlanta? Many years ago I used to work for Epps Air Service at PDK. Are they still there?

George
joepagejr wrote:I've bought some sheet metal tools from here for my airframe sheet metal class.
joepagejr
Mariana

Post by joepagejr »

They are. I had been over there once to talk about working in avionics after I finished the avionics program at a local tech school. They didn't have any spots available at the time, so I eventually got hired in with Delta working on ground support equipment (still in the same shop to this day). I have finished an Airframe and Powerplant curriculum at the local tech school and need to go test for my certifications. Are you still in the aviation field?
1975 Ducati 860 GT - 850589
2002 Ducati ST4s

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”